• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Dinner was leftover chicken tetrazzini and simply boiled Brussels sprouts -- a favorite.  I could deal with this often.  Usually I do not have dessert but I found some cake in the freezer, not mine but from an instructor at ICC.  No complaints.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Soup.  Baby bok choy, baby portobella & shiitake mushrooms, chicken broth.

DSCN4591a_800.jpg

Plus two of these...and a small bag of those...

DSCN4594a_400.jpg

All snarfed down rapidly.  Yum.  Thought of going back for a couple more...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basil chicken wings.

Chicken wings, chopped in two; marinated w/ fish sauce, bit of sugar, oil, lots of ground white pepper, splash of double-fermented soy sauce, small drizzle of dark soy sauce.  Stir-fried/sautéed w/ ginger & garlic in peanut oil, chopped shallots, trimmed scallions, sliced hot long green chillies, trimmed Thai basil, extra splash of fish sauce.  A little water at the end to generate sauce.

White rice.

DSCN4598b_800.jpg

• Like 5

huiray,

I hope you enjoyed your Filet-O-Fish sandwiched with extra tartar.

It appears McD's has downsized the bun to fit the much smaller fish fillets. Haven't had one in a long while.

Before they did the bun downsizing, but had downsized the fish, my husband informed me that you could request an off-menu double fish fillet, and that took it back to the old fish to bun ratio. It took it nowhere near the old price ratio. This sandwich was on the dollar menu in the good old days with the full-sized bun and fillet and full piece of cheese. It cost $4.00 to get two of the smaller fillets on the same bun. It still came with the quarter piece of cheese that's standard today.

I remember the really really good old days when this sandwich used to come with shredded lettuce and pickle.

It's still the best fast food chain fish sandwich. I went on a quest to see if I could get better a couple years ago, and went to Burger King, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, and several more that I'm perhaps not being able to remember because I am getting seriously nauseous thinking about it. It's possible to get bigger, but they are raccoon fodder.

Fortunately, there's a mom and pop fish market very close to us that will fry up any raw fish they sell to order or make generous whiting sandwiches at 2/$5.00. Unfortunately, you'd better make your own tartar sauce because they offer none except in overpriced commercial brand jars. And make sure you have your own lettuce in the house. They have really good fresh fish though.  :smile:

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

there are over 1/2 doz clam shakes in Ipswitch MA   some little hole in the walls.  some 'famous' like the Clam Box and packed in the warmer weather

the smaller unknown holes in the walls are better.  Im talking about clams w bellies.   I always take my own tartar sauce.

the folks behind the counter like it better than the stuff they sell that comes in those huge vats.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Clam+Shack&find_loc=Ipswich%2C+MA

in case you have not had clams w bellies :

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/21/dining/deep-fried-truth-about-ipswich-clams-no-matter-source-harvest-secret-classic.html

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the Crepes, I enjoyed my F-o-F thoroughly.  I agree, it is still the best around, overall.  Yes, they were bigger both in bun, fish and cheese years ago...but time moves on and cost moves up if "quality" is to be indefinitely maintained. These were 2 for $4, FWIW. :-)  I think the first time I had a F-o-F was at McD in Golders Green in London back in the 70s.  I don't clearly remember if they had lettuce and pickle with it there (probably) - but it wouldn't have mattered to my niece anyway as she ALWAYS got a F-o-F when McD was on the menu and ALWAYS just the bun and a bare fish patty, nothing else - and would get quite cross if she somehow wound up with one that had even a smidgen of tartar sauce on it.  I preferred to go for the touted Big Macs or Quarterpounders which were much better then than now.  Even when I crossed over to the US the Big Macs were pretty good back in the day decades ago.

Heh, I did a comparison between the fast food chain fish sandwiches too, a few years back - see here and here. :-D

• Like 1

there are over 1/2 doz clam shakes in Ipswitch MA   some little hole in the walls.  some 'famous' like the Clam Box and packed in the warmer weather

the smaller unknown holes in the walls are better.  Im talking about clams w bellies.   I always take my own tartar sauce.

the folks behind the counter like it better than the stuff they sell that comes in those huge vats.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Clam+Shack&find_loc=Ipswich%2C+MA

in case you have not had clams w bellies :

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/21/dining/deep-fried-truth-about-ipswich-clams-no-matter-source-harvest-secret-classic.html

Clam bellies - yes. 

I wrote about here on eG.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

yes indeed.  the Essex area is outstanding, esp before the Turistas show up.

nothing really wrong w tourists, they keep the Shacks going.

ive seen people wait at the clam box for longer than they  wait at ShakeShack NYC

id die if I had to wait that long for those bellies.

BTW nice write-up.

Down the shore here and what do I make when it is cold and rainy but pasta with salad, garlic bread and chicken saltimbucco.

At our local library here and then off to see what veg are fresh right now - possibly early peas, asparagus and lettuces - and what came off the boat this morning.  I'm hoping some fresh white fish that I can steam or lightly pan fry to go with some fresh veg.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I am not batting 1000 here. Went to make Roman style chicken (chicken breast, garlic, roasted red bell pepper, capers, white wine and tomatoes) for dinner.

Everything prepared and mise en place except chicken. Pull chicken breasts out to wash, and as I slit the package open a foul odor hit my nostrils... Purchased the day before and kept in my very cold fridge so that wasn't the reason. I suspect poor handling at the store.

Chicken goes into the trash. What to do? My dinner is ruined! Ah there's some pressed extra-firm tofu in the fridge. Treat that as the chicken with some stock after crisping it up in a saute. Then the sauce.

The tofu was the least part of the dish and would have been better served in some Pad Thai. The sauce was really nice. Served with mushroom gemelli.

Dinner saved.

IMG_20150423_100915.jpg

• Like 3

Baked tilapia in lemon butter sauce with fresh sage; a rice-and-lentil blend I get at the local market, and sauteed sugar snap peas with garlic, ginger and soy sauce.  Reasonably good, and different.

baked fish.jpg

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just built one of two portable rotisserie units for hunting camp, had to try one. This unit sets on top of free standing fire bricks. Made my first fire roasted chicken with it  and it came out moist and tasty. Rubbed a homemade garam masala on it. Next one will be built with form stakes.

DSC_0012.JPG

• Like 10

Willie, are those rotisseries turned by hand, or have you set up a motor of some sort?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Willie

always pleased to see your posts !

please post a bit more  ?

love to see some other 'longer'  i.e. father away shots of your CkRoster 

:biggrin:

soon Ill post a few 'vertical roasts' on my weber w the grill grates and some pellet smoke

not that its better than yours

Id bet not

but its what i have   .................

image.jpg

Thursday night's blue plate special. Few things can be easier. Cut up root vegetables, a small spatch-cocked chicken, nothing more exotic than salt and pepper for seasoning. One dish--hardly any clean up.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Maltose Ribs?

Maltose is sold in a small plastic tub in Asian markets.  It looks like thick honey.  This dish is really easy once you have the ingredients. I happened to use pork riblets because they were on special at the meat counter of the market, but it would work well with any cut of pork ribs or pork belly.  I buy the fried garlic at an Asian store.  It's incredibly flavorful and comes in a large plastic container for $3.99.  Great garnish on just about anything.

Bring a large pot of water to the boil, then add 1 cup of Shaoshing rice wine, 2 tbsp. Szechuan peppercorns and 5 thick slices fresh ginger.  Add the ribs and turn the heat down so the water is barely simmering.  Cook the ribs for one hour.

For the sauce, combine 6 tbsp. hoisin sauce, 4 tbsp. ketchup, 4 tbsp. Shaoshing wine, 4 tbsp. maltose, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tbsp. chili sauce (I used Korean chili paste), 4 cloves minced garlic, 2 tsp. minced ginger, 4 tbsp. soy sauce. 

Drain the ribs, cut into smaller pieces and toss with the sauce.  Placed in a casserole, (I use a Chinese clay pot), cover and bake in a 375 oven for one hour, stirring the ribs in the sauce every 20 minutes. 

Place on a serving dish, spoon on extra sauce, sprinkle with fried garlic and sliced green onions.

• Like 2

I didn't know this.

Some of mine grows bent like you describe.  

yep it isn't exact , as some do grown with a bent tip.  If the whole display is that way though,  there is a high chance that they were all stored on there sides for a bit of time.  I usually buy at the farmers market, so I just walk around until I find  some with straight and tight tips, if they happen to be thick or thin stalk  is luck of the draw. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Tonight's dinner was a throwback to childhood in the country. Country cured ham, pan-fried potatoes and onions, pinto beans. My mother would have had turnip greens or "poke sallet" with it. I loathe cooked greens, so I didn't.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

KayB--WHAT??????  A southern girl like you doesn't like greens???????  Blasphemy!  :raz:

LiamsAunt--That looks wonderful.  What kind of mushrooms?  

Huiray--I made the cajun version of your shrimp.  :wink:  Your rice always looks so perfect.

After reading and seeing Smithy's mouthwatering seafood on her camping thread I had to have something from the sea.  I was limited to shrimp from the freezer.  But, it's good shrimp.  My husband wanted something with rice so I made shrimp creole.  I'm currently eating leftovers as I type this.  It's spicy and it hit the spot.  Steamed brussels sprouts and some cornbread on the side.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 10

Two lamb chop dinners. 

First one is with grilled zucchini, eggplant,and onion with Ted Reader's spicy sauce and fingerling potatoes.  The marinade for the lamb is from Global Grill and has herbs de provence, etc and a compound butter with shallot, honey and vinegar.  Didn't much care for the butter...too acidic.

Second is roasted cauliflower with vadoulvan and the rest of the eggplant.

For the eggplant I use Modernist Cuisine's method of microwaving the slices on high for 3 minutes.  Then they get a light spray with oil and then grilled. 

DSC00819.JPG

DSC00820.JPG

• Like 6