• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Nice potatoes! Especially good if you haven't had them for a while.

About the pizza from the market- I discovered a discounted 12" five-cheese pizza while foraging at walmart yesterday. It was marked down to $3 so the thought was "what tha hey...?"

Doctored it up with basil, thyme, ripe roma tomatoes, onion, kalamata olives and extra parmesan. Ate half of it on top of a couple martinis. Not bad for an easy dinner.

• Like 2

I recently made a greek dish, somewhat inspired by this recipe from Starchefs. The lamb shanks were de-boned, then cooked in a water bath for 48 hours at 143F. I let them chill, cut them, then seasoned and finished in a skillet.

The chickpea cake from the recipe was very interesting, I had never known that garbanzo flour had the ability to set into a starch gel. What the recipe had you do is make a flavorful broth with rosemary, garlic, onions, etc, then use that broth to set the flour.

Lamb shanks with eggplant puree, chickpea cakes, toasted pine nuts, mint, tomatoes, and kalamata olives.

tumblr_nmvli2MgX41rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the Crepes, my sympathies on the supermarket pizza. I, too, have never had one from a supermarket deli that was fit to eat. We had the homemade variety last night, half cheese for my daughter, with the addition of dry salami and Kalamata olives for me. Crust was exceptionally good -- crispy, cracker-like, doggoned near excellent.

pizza3.jpg

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ann – your food always makes me hungry, but the pizza crust and halibut on 4/2 looked especially wonderful.

Norm – lovely Easter dinner!  That ham is so glisten-y!

Paul – that ham is amazing looking.  Someday, I’m going to splurge on a heritage ham.

Kay – I love that corn casserole.  If you remember the from-scratch one that I made recently didn’t match up at ALL!  And I’m SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED that you don’t have a deviled egg plate, southerner that you are :wink: !  One of my guests was surprised that I have THREE (one is specifically Easter themed) and borrowed another one in order to serve 22 people.  She’s a Yankee.  I told her that not only did I have deviled eggs plates, but ice tea spoons in my silver pattern :laugh: . 

Our Easter menu included ham:

med_gallery_3331_341_16381.jpg

This was an interesting cut that I found for the first time this year at Costco.  It was a boned out, but not formed or pressed, ham.  Almost exactly like a boned leg of lamb - long, wide and flat.  I cooked it low and slow and with moist heat and it was fantastic. 

Jessica’s country ham rolls:

med_gallery_3331_341_10976.jpg

St. Paul’s cheese soufflé:

med_gallery_3331_341_25772.jpg

More like a strata actually and probably the most popular thing on the buffet.  St. Paul’s is a local Episcopal church that does Lenten lunches and is famous for their good food.  I’d been hearing about this dish for years and finally got a cookbook for Christmas with this recipe in it.  Incredibly easy – just bread, cheese and a custard.  You put it together the night (or morning) before and pop it in the oven an hour before serving.

Something called Dale’s “Can’t Stop Eating It” Salad:

med_gallery_3331_341_139400.jpg

Dumb name, but a great, simple layered salad. 

My mother made her potato salad:

med_gallery_3331_341_45551.jpg

My friend, Cathy’s recipe for broccoli salad:

med_gallery_3331_341_106996.jpg

It is that standard broccoli, bacon, onion, pecan and raisin mixture found at almost every pot luck, but the salad is elevated by a great home made dressing rather than a bottle of Ranch.

These crazy deviled eggs:

med_gallery_3331_341_178906.jpg

Jessica requested dyed deviled eggs, like I used to do when she was little.  Apparently the dyes have become MUCH more intense!

My MIL’s yeast rolls:

med_gallery_3331_341_150915.jpg

I’ve posted the desserts on that thread.

Absolutely splendiferous, M'Darlin!   Everything is simply perfect, and perfectly co-ordinated for a lovely repast.   And I'm so glad that Little Green Teapot has such a wonderful new home. :wub:

r

• Like 4

liuzhou,

What a great score on the potatoes after 19 long years!

I hope you're able to pick up more.

Potatoes get a bum rap nutritionally. They are a vegetable with a lot of carbohydrates, but if you haven't looked at it before, you might be really surprised by the vitamins and minerals they also bring to the table. Of course, the butter and/or sour cream doesn't add a whole lot except for fat and calories, but if you roast or fry them and drain and blot well, they are still nutrition powerhouses.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2906/2

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight's dinner was 2 pounds (14 ea) in-shell live mahogany clams fresh from Maine with lemon for an app.

Oh, I used by brother's recommended microwave method for oysters, but as I suspected, I can't endorse it. They were tougher and chewier than they would be steamed on the stovetop, and I was meticulous about removing any when the opened. Do not try this at home or anywhere. Clams are absolutely crammed with vitamin B-12, protein and other good stuff, and they were good anyway, but as with many cooking suggestions from my brother, I would never use this cooking method again. Worth a try for the short cut, but not worth the compromise on quality.

Then I cooked some flat iron steaks in a screaming-hot heavy stainless steel skillet indoors, because even though it wasn't raining for once lately, I was loath to use $5 worth of charcoal cooking $5 worth of steaks. I'd never give that treatment to some nice thick rib eyes, but I bought these chuck steaks because I was disgusted that they were the same price as ground chuck in our area nowadays.

Fresh sweet white corn on the cob with dairy butter, and lovely poppy seed and sesame seed bread with more of the same butter completed the meal. I thought about baked potatoes, but I'm glad I didn't make any because no one was able to eat everything on their plate as it was.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

I owe my dinner to florodora.

Really.

When I got home from work and had had a shower it was about 11:00 pm and I was exhausted.  I made myself a mai tai and was shamelessly about to open a can of soup.  (Not that there is anything wrong with a can of soup.)  But then for some reason I thought I might enjoy a florodora.

I solemnly decided that if I were going to fix a florodora I was going to force myself to prepare an honest meal.  Now -- a few hours later -- I am enjoying my florodora and am about to serve chicken tetrazzini with watercress for dinner.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hi JoNorvelleWalker,

I'm glad you got to enjoy a great dinner, but when I Googled "floradora," it first came up with a theatrical production from 1899 by the playwright "Owen Hall."  :blush: I was very confused. 

Now I understand it's a cocktail. That is a very colorful name for a drink. Apparently, it's also:

from wikipedia:

"Floradora", also called "Keyword," was a doubly enciphered diplomatic code used by the Germans during the Second World War.

The Allies used tabulating equipment, created by IBM, to break the code over period of more than a year in 1941 and 1942."

from wikipedia

Wow! what a lot of baggage for a simple word.  :smile: 

I'm very glad it inspired you to make chicken tetrazzini. I love that dish, but there must be white wine in the house to make it properly,

IMO.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

The snow has finally melted off my porch and I was able to grill for the first time in 2015.  Chopped salad with grilled chicken and creamy avocado dressing.  A fast weeknight dinner that made leftovers for lunch yesterday.  The dressing stayed bright green, which was surprising to me.

chopped salad.jpg

• Like 9

liamsaunt, what was in that creamy avocado dressing, other than chunks of avocado? The salad is beautiful.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On the way home from work today, I made a mild detour to pick up another bag of the new potatoes mentioned upstream, although I still had some at home.

Again I simply boiled, fork crushed and buttered them. I know I'm boring you, but I like them this way.

Served with some sushi grade raw salmon (which worked better than I expected) with lemon juice, and some steamed sparrowjuice. All with local sea salt.

Again I ate more than is pictured.

nps.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sorry. "Sparrowjuice" is a corrupt form of London dialect as coined by my son many years ago. Yes, it is "asparagus"

East end London street markets usually label it "Sparrow Grass". Somehow in my son's mind this morphed into "sparrowjuice" and that is what the family have called it ever since.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sorry. "Sparrowjuice" is a corrupt form of London dialect as coined by my son many years ago. Yes, it is "asparagus"

East end London street markets usually label it "Sparrow Grass". Somehow in my son's mind this morphed into "sparrowjuice" and that is what the family have called it ever since.

Excellent corruption; I may adopt it.  I had been wondering what interesting condiment I'd been missing out on, and I'm glad you elucidated before I went on a wild goose hunt via Google. 

As for those potatoes: sometimes the simplest truly is best.  I think I'll look for new potatoes in the market today. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown