• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Various meals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another serving of chicken rice (leftovers from here).  With chilli sauce** and baby kai-lan in the chicken poaching broth.  Chopped scallions.

DSCN4425a_800.jpg

** A mixture of Lingham's Hot Sauce, Kokita Bangkok chilli sauce, Marukan rice vinegar, Kong Yen aged rice vinegar, juice of a fresh ripe calamansi lime, salt, finely chopped smashed garlic, grated ginger w/ all juices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken soup – rest of the chicken from here, in chicken broth w/ wilted yu choy sum & sliced fresh baby garlic (see here) simmered in the broth.

DSCN4428a_800.jpg

Fried rice – made w/ chopped scallions, chopped hot long green chillies (fully seeded), farm-fresh eggs scrambled in situ, ground white pepper, salt.  Dressed w/ lots of chopped romaine lettuce hearts when plated.

DSCN4435a_800.jpg

Plus Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng.  (see below)

Leftover fried rice (see above) refried w/ more chopped romaine lettuce hearts folded in while in the pan.  Dressed w/ deep-fried sliced shallots.  Eaten w/ pickled Persian cucumbers & scallion pieces, plus toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN4439a_800.jpg

More Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng (a.k.a. Itek Tim).

DSCN4442a_800.jpg

Duck legs (chopped up), galangal, garlic, generous tamarind pulp slurry, salted plums, preserved/pickled mustard greens (harm syun choy), palm sugar, additional duck fat.  Water, of course.

Fresh winter bamboo shoots (suitably prepared beforehand) stewed w/ garlic (lots), pork spare ribs, pork hocks slices, quartered fresh flower-patterned small thick-cap Chinese mushrooms, shiro miso, plus a bit of this-and-that.

With rice.

DSCN4449b_800.jpg

With soba noodles.  (The stew diluted to a more soupy state and seasoning adjusted)  Chopped scallions.

DSCN4456a_800.jpg

• Like 6

March Madness Pizza

Pizza.jpg

I play with a few recipe's this one had some white wine in it, 67% ( 7% white wine in the 67% ) hydrated AP flour/ 1/ 4 tSAF yeast/ 1t salt/ and a bit of honey-- this was bake in a slight amout of olive oil in the pan---so it kinda frys

Toppings--Red Wattle Ham/bacon/mushroom/ romano

Served with a Bedrock 2013 Old Vine ZIN-- which is Yummy

• Like 5

Its good to have Morels

Ann – your food always makes me hungry, but the pizza crust and halibut on 4/2 looked especially wonderful.

Norm – lovely Easter dinner!  That ham is so glisten-y!

Paul – that ham is amazing looking.  Someday, I’m going to splurge on a heritage ham.

Kay – I love that corn casserole.  If you remember the from-scratch one that I made recently didn’t match up at ALL!  And I’m SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED that you don’t have a deviled egg plate, southerner that you are :wink: !  One of my guests was surprised that I have THREE (one is specifically Easter themed) and borrowed another one in order to serve 22 people.  She’s a Yankee.  I told her that not only did I have deviled eggs plates, but ice tea spoons in my silver pattern :laugh: . 

Our Easter menu included ham:

med_gallery_3331_341_16381.jpg

This was an interesting cut that I found for the first time this year at Costco.  It was a boned out, but not formed or pressed, ham.  Almost exactly like a boned leg of lamb - long, wide and flat.  I cooked it low and slow and with moist heat and it was fantastic. 

Jessica’s country ham rolls:

med_gallery_3331_341_10976.jpg

St. Paul’s cheese soufflé:

med_gallery_3331_341_25772.jpg

More like a strata actually and probably the most popular thing on the buffet.  St. Paul’s is a local Episcopal church that does Lenten lunches and is famous for their good food.  I’d been hearing about this dish for years and finally got a cookbook for Christmas with this recipe in it.  Incredibly easy – just bread, cheese and a custard.  You put it together the night (or morning) before and pop it in the oven an hour before serving.

Something called Dale’s “Can’t Stop Eating It” Salad:

med_gallery_3331_341_139400.jpg

Dumb name, but a great, simple layered salad. 

My mother made her potato salad:

med_gallery_3331_341_45551.jpg

My friend, Cathy’s recipe for broccoli salad:

med_gallery_3331_341_106996.jpg

It is that standard broccoli, bacon, onion, pecan and raisin mixture found at almost every pot luck, but the salad is elevated by a great home made dressing rather than a bottle of Ranch.

These crazy deviled eggs:

med_gallery_3331_341_178906.jpg

Jessica requested dyed deviled eggs, like I used to do when she was little.  Apparently the dyes have become MUCH more intense!

My MIL’s yeast rolls:

med_gallery_3331_341_150915.jpg

I’ve posted the desserts on that thread.

• Like 10

image.jpg

Thursday rolls around again. Blue plate special for my meat and potato loving second son. Panko crusted chicken thighs, duck fat roasted potatoes and broccoli.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kim,

I hope I can say this properly and in the spirit it is meant. Your food always seems to reflect such a generosity of spirit that my mood is lifted just by seeing what you're up to.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The rain stopped, if only for a few hours, so I ran out shopping for a dinner I'd been craving.  Here is my booty as I unpacked it:

dinner04092015.jpg

The hotdogs are presently anovaing and the cabbage is about to become coleslaw.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chee Cheong Fun (rice noodle rolls) (made w/ har mai (dried shrimp) and scallions incorporated in it) [commercial], simply steamed & dressed w/ Teem Cheong** ("sweet sauce"), chopped scallions & coriander leaves.

** Hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce (sang chau), water, dash of sesame oil, some peanut oil; bring to a boil in a small saucepan and immediately kill the fire.  (The proportions and ingredients vary each time I make it depending on my mood)

DSCN4463a_800.jpg

Shrimp wontons, w/ Taiwan choy sum in broth w/ sliced fresh far koo Chinese mushrooms & sliced fresh baby garlic heads simmered in the broth.

Chicken stock diluted w/ water, simmered w/ a bit of oil, "stock fish", smashed garlic, Chinese mushroom stems; filtered (fine sieve) at the end.

DSCN4470a_800.jpg

Shrimp mixture for the wontons.  

Chopped shrimp, diced baby garlic, chopped scallions, ground white pepper, some salt, dash of sang chau. (I forget if that was everything) The shrimp were de-shelled, deveined and soaked in cool water that had a few dashes of kan sui (aqueous potassium carbonate - sodium bicarbonate) for a while before draining and rinsing well in fresh water.

DSCN4460a_600.jpg

• Like 6

Well, biochemistry probably made that hot dog, so...

I like Nathan's, but they really need to be the natural casing variety, which are harder to find. They just get a little extra snap from that.

Last night...

17097430421_58fa99ddb3.jpg

Chicken and chorizo paella, with a nice soccarat (finally!).

To snack on, while enjoying our Bamboo cocktails...

16890715837_dae0252495.jpg

Mini sweet peppers. 1 lb. bag for $2.  Roasted in Steam Girl (w/o steam).

• Like 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Anna – thank you so much for your kind words.  I sometimes worry that my food is a little pedestrian for eG, but your attitude gives me confidence.

Jo – I love hot dogs – and have my whole life.  I remember that when my English hot dog-hating dad would go out of town, my mom and I would revel in the foods he hated and hot dogs would be the first meal!  I like them basically carbonized – fried hard and split. 

Dinner last night was a very minimalist sort of Easter leftover dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_17163.jpg

But extremely satisfying!

• Like 8

I much prefer natural casing dogs.  That SNAP! when you bite into it is very satisfying.  Of course, the filling and taste etc matters too but skinless dogs are not as favored with me.  In my parts natural casing Nathan's dogs are sometimes available but usually I pick up a pack of Dietz & Watson Natural Casing beef hot dogs which are placed in the deli area in my local supermarket, not with all the other dogs out on the general meat shelves.

I like Chicago Hot Dogs quite a bit (made with Vienna Beef dogs, usually; natural casing requisite).  I try to drop by Portillo's (for the downtown convenience; they are a chain but they're really fairly good) whenever I'm in Chitown, and get a Chicago Italian Beef sandwich too (dipped), naturally; or at one of the other places if I'm nearby. (There are long-running disputes about which place has "the best" - and there are many candidates)  Short of that, Indy has Fat Dan's Deli for a fix of all this stuff without driving up.

Kim!  Pedestrian???  No way!  I get a lot of inspiration from your meals!

Looooooong day yesterday.  I dug up our septic tank all by myself (don't ask) and today my back is not happy.  So, I wanted my favorite for dinner.  

Spaghetti and venison meatballs over spinach and the first asparagus from the garden.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 11

Kay – I love that corn casserole.  If you remember the from-scratch one that I made recently didn’t match up at ALL!  And I’m SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED that you don’t have a deviled egg plate, southerner that you are :wink: !  One of my guests was surprised that I have THREE (one is specifically Easter themed) and borrowed another one in order to serve 22 people.  She’s a Yankee.  I told her that not only did I have deviled eggs plates, but ice tea spoons in my silver pattern :laugh: . 

Hey... THIS Yankee (Red Sox fan) has 3 stuffed egg plates.  Since there is no mustard in them we can't call them deviled!

beautiful food and I want those ham buns.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The rain stopped, if only for a few hours, so I ran out shopping for a dinner I'd been craving.  Here is my booty as I unpacked it:

dinner04092015.jpg

The hotdogs are presently anovaing and the cabbage is about to become coleslaw.

At least you have a WAWA near you... :angry:

Yesterday it was a mac and cheese casserole and two dinner size Nathan's hot dogs that I crisped up and smothered with homemade hotdog relish and kraut,

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had this year's first BBQ today. Meat was lamb leg (with bone). Unfortunately, the weather turns lousy again tomorrow.  Such is spring.

Nothing is worth more than this day. (Goethe)

J4MKokY.jpg

Bl3gwlA.jpg

FHdBuTH.jpg

• Like 7

Good to see some Thai food again! And hot dogs. And asparagus from the garden.

I defrosted my last bag of Hatch chiles and made (New Mexicans avert your eyes) BEEF chile verde, with a 3-lb chuck roast. Served with a bunch of fixins, including this sort of pico de gallo I whipped together: chopped jalapeños, habaneros, cilantro, onion and lime juice:

beef_chile_verde.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Going away for a few days. Knew these shishito peppers would not last. And there was a tiny bit of smoked duck breast left. Simple but satisfying.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I've had two in my lifetime. Broke 'em both. 

Your Easter spread looks fabulous!  Would love the recipe for that cheese souffle.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com