• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Hey Norm Mattews,

Your "fatties" look absolutely awesome!

Have you ever tried Anaheim peppers instead of poblanos in a stuffed chili preparation?

To me they have lots more flavor. Sometimes they're smaller and they're almost always more slender, but I have two huge ones in the fridge, that I am sure will accept 1/4 pound of seasoned ground beef which I'll top with cheese and bake.

When I can only get the small ones, I just make more per serving.

I do not really care for heavily egg-battered deep-fried chili rellenos, but baked chili rellenos stuffed with meat and topped with cheese are the bomb. I can only imagine that meat and cheese stuffed chilies wrapped in bacon and smoked would be sublime.

In fact, I think I'm gonna stuff my chilies as usual, wrap with a slice of bacon, then top with cheese to melt it after the bacon is cooked and crispy. Thanks for this idea. Now I'm looking forward to it more than ever.

And I have to add that I like to do a little research before running my mouth (fingers) on the internet, and I found out for the first time today, that Anaheim's are also called Hatch chili's. I have spent several years being envious of Shelby's very expensive over-the-internet once-a-year delivery of a large shipment of Hatch, and I had no idea I was eating the same thing, available fresh in my grocery almost year round for $1.99 a pound. Now that I know this, the canned Hatch chilies I can get from Trader Joe's do taste a lot like what I can get fresh, but they are different. The fresh are better.

I like to leave some of the seeds and membranes in my Anaheim chili rellenos for more heat, but I take them out for my husband who doesn't like the capsaicin.

The heat varies in these chilies, but the floral, vegetal flavor is pretty consistent.

Just an idea. I'm absolutely sure your "fatties" will rock with Poblanos too.  :smile:

ETA: Don't try to substitute Cubanelle peppers for Anaheims. Sometimes they look similar, except the Cubanelles are usually less pointy on the flower end. I was very unhappy the one time I could not find Anaheims and made this substitution to the point I picked out the meat and cheese and the raccoons got the pepper.

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tapas style tasting menu last night:

- Roasted Almonds w Rosemary and sea salt

- Young Peccorino w/ Smoked tomato and arugula pesto 'melted spoon'

- Halibut Cheeks w Potato Crisps & Smoked Citrus reduction

- Chorizo raviolo w/ red wine reduction

- Assortment of cheeses

Along w/ some nice crusty breads from Black Bird Baking Co.

Paired with 2x 2007 Williams Selyem Pinots 1x Russian River Valley, 1x Bucher Vineyard and 1x 2001 Andrea Oberto Barolo

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 3

PB : Yum.  I love stuffed shells.  those look fantastic.

do you ever make them w a meat sauce ?

Rotuts

I don't do a meat sauce...  But I do make meat filled shells

Fry which meat you wish..  I usually use cow  with a bit of garlic onion,  mix in cheese a bit of bread crumbs  and chopped spinach.. an egg or two  mix  add  S/P  and fill

Its good to have Morels

liamsaunt we make spaghetti with tuna a lot, almost always with the jarred Ortiz stuff. What recipe did you use?

The recipe was from Rick Moonen's book Fish Without a Doubt.  That's one of my go-to books for fish.  Everything I have made from it has been pretty delicious.

I made pizza last night.  Margharita for the kids, and white clam for the adults.  It was good but oh so garlicky.  I think I still reek of garlic this morning.

white clam pizza.jpg

• Like 7

mm84321 - what a fantastic way to usher spring! Beautiful.

Ninagluck - Very skillful manchego croquettasery.

liamsaunt - White clam pizza is my favorite kind of pizza.

Paul Bacino - Yes, those stuffed shells look perfect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A few recent meals

dcarch

Corned beef, Green Mac & Cheese for St. Pat's Day

corned%20beef%20Mac%20amp%20cheese%202.j

corned%20beef%20Mac%20amp%20cheese%20.jp

Used Corned beef seasoning pack to sous vide the chicken

sous%20vide%20turkey%20thigh%20asparagus

sous%20vide%20turkey%20thigh%20asparagus

Used corned beef brine to corn the pork

black%20bean%20pulled%20pork.jpg

black%20bean%20pulled%20pork%202.jpg

Stir fried chicken with pickled cabbage, cantaloupe rind.

stir%20fried%20chicken%20cantaloupe%20ri

stir%20fried%20chicken%20cantaloupe%20ri

• Like 10

Norm – I love the look and sound of those fatties!  And pineapple and brat sounds incredible.

dcarch – the texture of that corned beef is perfect!

Tried out a new recipe for BBQ shrimp from Cooks Country last night.  I have another BBQ shrimp recipe that I’ve used for years, but saw this one on TV and it looked good.  It was delicious, but I can’t say whether it was any better than my old recipe because it’s been so long since I’ve made that one.  The shrimp:

med_gallery_3331_114_131958.jpg

Served with dirty rice (straight from Bojangles) and a big salad with a bleu cheese vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_114_4898.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_54165.jpg

And plenty of crusty bread to soak up that lovely sauce:

med_gallery_3331_114_38795.jpg

Dessert was lemonade cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_73426.jpg

• Like 8

I had not baked in quite a while, so tonight was an organic pink lady with a baguette.  And cheeses.  I was mildly distressed that a block of cheddar I had vacuum sealed last fall had some penicillium growing on it.  I carefully scraped it off.  Then I wondered, wait, I am serving this on the same plate as Roquefort.  Why am I worrying about a little mold?  I understand some cheese molds can be toxic, but probably not penicillium.

Thoughts?

The bread and cheese were accompanied by a nice liter of M.R.  This brings to mind another question.  I would never* sit down to drink a liter of wine, neither white nor red, but there must be something special about M.R.  The carbonation may somehow remove the calories!  I don't know?  But it helps not having leftovers.

*well, hardly ever.

Edit:  syntax...error of case.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

M.R?

Mouton Rothschild?

No.  (I have a bottle of Chateau Lafite leftover from the 1960's but it is only 750 ml.)

Edit:  I apologize, that was not fair:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149804-methode-rotuts/

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooked all weekend. this is my only shot of something outside of breakfast..  

I made pasta con sarde.. cooked fennel in a pan with sugar, salt and olive oil, pastis.. Cooked down the fennel, added sardine and currants and mixed with spaghetti. 

16792885829_2a71135eb3_c.jpg

• Like 7

Various meals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beef, garlic, salt, (oil, of course, in a hot pan), bittergourd, a good splash of water.  White rice.

Baby kale in chicken broth.

DSCN4380a_800.jpg

DSCN4383a_600.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fried rice.  Oil, bit of garlic, half a left-over onion finely sliced, andouille sausage [Smoking Goose] cut into rounds, sliced de-stringed celery stems, farm-fresh eggs scrambled in situ, two-day-old white rice, salt, asparagus & celery leaves trimmed into several-inch lengths, toss for just 30 secs or so more.

DSCN4387a_800.jpg

My hands and fingers smelled faintly and pleasantly of the aroma of the sausages (from the cutting and handling of the slices) for hours.

Wild striped bass fillet (cut into two) marinated w/ and steamed w/ Shaohsing wine, rice bran oil, salt, julienned ginger, sliced garlic, sliced scallions; plus maitake mushroom pieces added just before steaming.  Dressed w/ more ginger & scallions.

Upland cress (see here also) wilted in chicken broth.**

White rice.

** Not the best vegetable for this purpose.  The taste is sort-of "lost" and the stems come out tough.  Standard watercress is far preferable to upland cress when done this way.  Using upland cress in salads would be preferable.

DSCN4394a_800.jpg

Fish just before steaming.

DSCN4391a_600.jpg

• Like 5

well, MM

that's not quite Casper the Ghost in them middle of your soup

But I like it !

what are the 'three' facials ?

im pleased that you like  'odd' numbers

ie the croutons

they seem to always work better.

I looked into this a long long time ago at RISD, in RI

and it is accepted as more visually pleasing

still no idea why   ....

Oooooooooooops : two bread items on that delicious  single and therefor 'odd' egg

:biggrin:

I accidentally posted this in the breakfast thread. Cassie tripped and fell down a short flight of carpeted stairs and stayed home from work today.  She is sore and bruised but I think she will be fine.  Since all three of us were home together tonight, I made Breaded chicken cutlets, Romano cheese sauce, linguine and green beans.  

DSCN2481_zps9syrq2sc.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

I accidentally posted this in the breakfast thread. Cassie tripped and fell down a short flight of carpeted stairs and stayed home from work today.  She is sore and bruised but I think she will be fine.  Since all three of us were home together tonight, I made Breaded chicken cutlets, Romano cheese sauce, linguine and green beans.  

I saw it in the Breakfast thread and 'liked' it because it looked like it would be tasty at any time of day! Though I did suspect you really had it for dinner!

I hope your DIL recovers soon, never nice to take a fall. 

• Like 1