• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Double Oven?

Zacky

I inherited a GE double oven at our current home.  The upper oven has convection and I recommend the convection for baking.  I've only been in this home a year, the oven is maybe 3 years old??? and so far so good.  

Hi,

I'm having my kitchen re-fitted and extended and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for equipment? Specifically, the double oven.

Thanks

What is your budget?

What type of cooking and baking do you do?

Are you thinking about 2 ovens or an oven and a speed oven?

What features are most important to you?

Are you partial to any particular brand?

What size ovens do you want?

We had an electric Maytag Gemini for many years and I liked it very much.

http://www.sears.com/maytag-6.7-cu-ft-electric-double-oven-range/p-02263906000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=02263906000&kispla=02263906000P&kpid=02263906000&mktRedirect=y

The top oven is smaller but since we cook for two people most of the time we used it almost all the time.  It heated up to cooking temperature far faster than any other oven I've had and used a lot less electricity.

One of the large burners has two settings, a low range and a high range, making it very handy for making sauces without a double boiler, the low on the low range was not very hot..

I think a good product at a reasonable price.