• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming to New York need recommendations

T Raveret

We are spending 4 nights in New York April 9-13th and are trying to find some good and fun food but not totally blow the budget.

We love french,  Will definately go to Jean Georges and maybe Nougatine for lunch as we did wehn we were last in new york as lunch seems to be a great value.  We are adventerous and willing to try different cuisines.  Looking for a Steak recommendation.  I'd love to blow the bank on Peter Luger but the wife doesent like Dry aged meat as much as I.  I know I left this pretty open but are there great values to be had on decent food in New York?  thanks for sharing!!

I know I left this pretty open but are there great values to be had on decent food in New York?  thanks for sharing!!

Sure - Great NY Noodletown for roasted meats, noodle soups.

4 for $1 dumplings at Vanessa's or Prosperity Dumpling.

Ramen - all around town - we like Ivan Ramen.

You might consider Bistro Benoit - the bar at happy hour has some nice deals.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Spring in NY is just another word for Great NY Noodletown soft shell crabs. They have the biggest juiciest ones ever--they must have a huge turnover. I'm not sure when the season starts, but soon. I'm coming in early May and I'm SO excited!

Oh, and if you find yourself at MOMA you can take advantage of the excellent Halal truck on the southwest corner of 6th ave and 53rd St. Order the chicken and rice with white sauce and just a dab of red sauce unless you take your food five-alarm hot.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)