• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferber's orange with chocolate

cookingofjoy

I was trying Ferber's Orange with Chocolate, and the first step is boiling 750g of Granny Smith apples with 3 c 2ounces water for 20min, and then straining through cheesecloth overnight.  While I was doing the first boiling step, I was interrupted with a phone call, and it definitely boiled longer, probably 30-35 minutes total (instead of 20).  I also have a jelly bag, but no cheesecloth, so I've been draining with the jelly bag.  So far I have 1c of juice, instead of the 2c 1ounce that I should.  She also says to leave the sediment in the bowl, and I definitely don't have any sediment (with the jelly bag).  I'm wondering how my juice looks?  It's definitely not clear, but it looks pectiny.

I'm thinking I'll let the jelly bag still drain for the rest of the day, since there's still definitely juice there.  In the end, do you think it'd be ok to just go ahead with the recipe even if it's over-reduced, and just check for set once I'm further along?  Or is this going to make it like a rock?

pectin.jpg

I've used the same method to make pectin from green apples. I ended up with more than what she had specified (and used the leftovers in another jam).

What you have is probably fine. I would just proceed and test as I go.

Thanks! I did go ahead like you suggested, and I think it turned out well.  Like other Ferber recipes I've made, it's a little softer set, at least right now. I'll check again tomorrow.  It tastes amazing - like I'll be able to have chocolate covered orange peel for breakfast :)