• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodservice Film

radtek

In 2012 I inherited a box of cling wrap (Daily Chef Foodservice Film - 18" x 3,000') that my parents bought at Sam's- most likely for less than $15. Pretty sure they had it a couple years before I acquired the film.

Amazingly it's seen constant daily use and there's still plenty left after three years. How long does one of these things last anyway...?

Sure it's almost like an appliance on your counter but that's value for money. The only complaint I have is that they could have made the cutter longer.  

I'll probably cry when this one finally runs out.

I fairly sure it's not biodegradeable, it may even belong to that family of compounds that have a half life.

It may become a family heirloom.

Regarding the cutter length...too late to return it?

Not sure if you're saying the same thing radtek, but I've noticed on most current packages of wrap (all types), the metal cutting edge has been replaced by a cardboard one. Unsure if this is due to safety/legal concerns or simply cost-cutting.

p

Edited by palo (log)

I buy big rolls of heavy duty cling film and heavy gauge aluminum foil for home use through our supplier at the restaurant. I hate grocery store cling film that's been dumbed down by the manufacturers (I assume due to people complaining it's too hard to work with) to the point that it doesn't cling to much of anything anymore. I get both in the 18" width, the film is 2000' and the foil is 328'. I'm currently working on my second box of each in the past 5 years so they're definitely not fast turnover. That's another thing I like about it... I can buy them and forget about them for a really long time.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It really does take up some space. Not ideal for a small work area. Far better performance than regular retail wrap so for me it's worth it. And I have a decent amount of counter space which was high on the list when choosing the house..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've almost purchased service industry wrap, but my main problem is where to store it. It's too deep for my drawers and it's too big to leave out on the counter. If I had a better kitchen, maybe there'd be a place for it.

Ditto. In my few square meters of kitchen I can just about fit the regular store stuff, but I do look at it thinking one day I'm going to put up a special shelf for you.

As a slight aside. Can cling film cover a pot/pan then cover with foil and go in the oven? I've seen it on TV a few times. Never on UK tv though.

The foodservice wrap comes in 12" widths as well. Some places hang the roll from under a cabinet to szve the valuable counter space.

Warning: Never drop a roll of film on the "corner" or edge, or the layers will jam together and you will never get a full width width of film. Ever...

For some reason, any tomato product in a s/s container that is covered with foil, will have holes eaten into the foil, especially when placed in to the oven. A common tactic is to first put down a layer of film, then foil, and you won't have holes being eaten into the foil. If the film is not exposed to direct heat, it won't melt.

Another common tactic is to poach mousses or gallantines wrapped in film.