• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cost Calculator

Matthew Kirshner

Hi Everyone,

I am driving myself insane right with one product cost.  I am trying to figure out the cost of eggs being separated into yolks and whites.  I know the cost of one egg as a whole is .16 cents.  With a waste % of 10%(shell)  On average each egg weighs 55grams, so when split I have 20grams yolks to 35grams whites.  When I do my calculations on both, it is not adding up to the original 16 cents.  I am using a new program to figure out recipe cost but I am still in the process of updating all ingredients into the database.  I don’t know if I am inputting the wrong formulas calculations to for each bi-product

If anyone can help me out with this , I will treat you to Macarons or Macaroons in the mail.

Matt

Unless you have an extraordinarily good deal on eggs, your eggs are probably costing $0.16 or 16 cents, not 0.16 cents.

The cost of the yolks is 20/55 * 16 = 5.8 cents. The cost of the whites is 35/55 * 16 = 10.2 cents. Yolks + Whites = 5.8 + 10.2 = 16 cents which is the cost of the whole egg. Don't bother trying to get the program to calculate this. Just create two new ingredients, egg yolks & egg whites with the appropriate costs.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

Thanks Shalmanese, and yes i did mean 16 cents.  I do have a few chickens so my cost for eggs for expreimenting is very low per egg, but for my business i have to buy the eggs.  As much as i want to get more chickens and elminate my egg cost as a whole, i do not want to clean a bigger chicken coop.  Thanks again for helping me out. PM me with your mailing address and i will send a little treat for you(Using my chicken eggs of course!!)

My thoughts have nothing to do with math.

If your recipe calls for 2 eggs, then your egg cost is 16 cents times 2 regardless of whether you use the whole egg or not. If however you need only the yolk or white and cleverly have a valid use for the left over yolk/white, then you can make use of the figures graciously provided by Shalmanese.

That being said, your egg cost overall won't go down as you would still have to add its cost to the second recipe in order to make use of the left over yolk/white.

Sounds almost like metaphysics :)

p

My question to your question is: what do you do with the yolks if you are only using the whites for your macarons?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

My question to your question is: what do you do with the yolks if you are only using the whites for your macarons?

Because of my production schedule and what i have to maintain, nothing goes to waste.  The yolks i save for pate-a-bombe, brulee's, ect... Same goes for the whites, usually for buttercreams, meringue's, ect..