• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting pan material

GRoston

I am planning to cook cochinita pibil (Mexican pulled pork). Since I am lazy (and have a big freezer), I will probably cook two shoulders at the same time. I do not currently have a pan large enough to contain the meat, so I am thinking about purchasing a new one.

The recipe (http://www.fronterafiesta.com/cook/meat-poultry-pork/266-slow-roasted) calls for a fair amount of highly acidic liquids. This got me to wondering - is an aluminum roasting pan acceptable or must I go the stainless steel route?

The largest pan I can fit into my oven is around 20" x 17", and based on my searching, I have found very few stainless ones this size. If stainless really is the way to go, I'll scale back my plans and just cook one shoulder.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

AlaMoi,

Great suggestion, thank you. The pans are the right length (in terms of being able to fit in my oven), but are only ~13" wide. I would have preferred one just a bit wider - will keep looking.

Puerco Pibil is my 'go to' pork recipe and I make large batches at once and then freeze the shredded meat to use in other ways also.  This recipe looks good although I prefer the one by Roberto Rodriguez.  I used to cook mine in a large slow cooker until it bit the dust and now I use an (unbreakable) electric roaster. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne,

I am one of those people who si simply incapable of following a recipe - I have to experiment. Thanks for pointing out your favorite - I had consdiered adding hot peppers and will now certainly do so (though I will use jalapenos and serranos since our freezer is stocked with them - from last summer's garden).

Well, GRoston, I am not much for following recipes either although I do use Poblanos in this recipe and few hot peppers. 

Good luck with the pan situation.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.