• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is an interest in food in the UK, "elitist"?

If I want to buy a car or a DVD player and I know someone who knows a lot more about them than me then I'm only too pleased for their suggestions and advice. I don't get all defensive/aggressive because they know more than I do.

But this is to miss the point of the discussion, Tony. Suppose that you want to buy a car or a DVD player and you know someone who knows a lot less about them than you, then how do you feel when they offer their suggestions and advice ?

If I want to buy a car or a DVD player and I know someone who knows a lot more about them than me then I'm only too pleased for their suggestions and advice. I don't get all defensive/aggressive because they know more than I do.

But this is to miss the point of the discussion, Tony. Suppose that you want to buy a car or a DVD player and you know someone who knows a lot less about them than you, then how do you feel when they offer their suggestions and advice ?

Much the same as when I read your reviews of a restaurant

:biggrin:

That would be me dad. I humour him.

That would be me dad. I humour him.

:smile: ... yeah, mine too. But the question is at the heart of the discussion, and warrants a full answer. In my definition, an elitist is one who looks down on people with less knowledge than he has, and loses no opportunity to boast of his own knowledge for the purpose of self-aggrandisement. In the case of your dad, I guess it depends on exactly how you "humour" him :raz:

In my definition, an elitist is one who looks down on people with less knowledge than he has, and loses no opportunity to boast of his own knowledge for the purpose of self-aggrandisement.

No. That's a snob. Or an arrogant bastard. But he is not an elitist if he is not taking steps to exclude you from participating. All elites are exclusionary by definition. Only by excluding can they maintain their elite status.

If someone says me and my friends know more than you and we're not going to tell you what it is we know- THAT is elitist

If he says we know more than you and THIS is what we know-not elitist.

Clearly elitist has the same construction as, for example, sexist. It means to disparage or disadvantage someone purely because of membership of an elite.

So someone calling Steve P a snob for not eating frozen food is surely an elitist.

Wilma squawks no more

Living in London does tend to colour ones vies of what is or is not "normal" or standards

Restaurants of all levels are more abundant and ( I am guessing here ) eating out is more prevalent.

there are one or two restaurants that would happily exist in London.  But, they are few and far between

Nice to see you are in good company for once Simon. AA Gill says exactly the same things about food in London versus Oop North. But what does he know? :biggrin::biggrin: