• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for pork belly dish in 45 mins

Bojana

I will have 45 mins to cook a  spectacular pork belly dish. I am drawing a blank here as I normally cook it low and slow. Thinking pressure cooker...

Can you help with ideas? Complex/very technical is not a problem, as long as it fits in 45 mins.

Slice in thin  slices, salt and fry crisp  and serve  with potatoes,  white onion gravy and lingon jam.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Does it have to be pork belly? If so, I'd slice it thin and grill it, as someone suggested. I mean, if you count the prep, searing, assembling some kind of sauce from the braising liquid, etc as part of the 45 minutes then you'll be pushing it--seriously--to turn out a pressure cooked pork belly dish in 45 minutes. I reckon you'd spend a fair amount of time if you tried to mince it, too. Unless you own a very serious mincer.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Pressure cooker. My husband did some in ours the other day, then seared the pieces in cast iron. I wasn't in the kitchen so I don't have the details, but there was none left over. (Is there EVER left over pork belly?)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Bojana, can you describe the circumstances in which you will be cooking and serving this dish?  Is it a competition or a family dinner or a lunch or a bbq?  Is it fir a main course or a starter.  Grilled pork belly is an easy thing.

Sear/grill, pressure cook, sear/grill again, glaze. (Or glaze before the final grill if the sugar content isn't too high.) Be sure to heavily season your braising liquid. If you can bring in pork stock you made ahead of time to put in the pressure cooker, that will help too. If it's not a competition, you could always cook the belly sous vide before hand and do whatever you want to it.

Maybe you can pull some ideas from this:

The battle starts around 9 minutes in.

• Like 1

Bun Cha Ha Noi is a grilled pork belly dish that's spectacularly good.

Bun Cha was probably the highlight of my time in Hanoi (and that is saying something - I loved the time we had there!) - we almost missed our flight leaving there as we spent a little too much time exploring looking for one last Bun Cha place... Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes, I am helping someone in a competition and it has to be pork belly. It can be any style, as long as it is well executed. I have done some spectacular dishes with pork belly in 60 mins in my day, combining PC cooked stock and thin seared slices but I feel 45 min is not enough for decent stock. We'll see. I will look into Bun Cha and other suggestions

Reporting back. The time was extended from 45 min to 60, which was great.

I sliced off few slices from the block and rubbed them with miso, mirin, and mix of spices: chilli, sichuan pepper, coriander, garlic, ginger. I shortly seared them and then smoked on tea, sugar and orange rind mix for 10 min.

The rest I cooked in pressure cooker in soy, water, mirin, konbu, rice vinegar and ginger. I left some of pork belly in a biggish block and some sliced. After 45 mins, the meat was beautiful and tender. I cut the cubes from teh block and caramelized and crisped in the pan. The smaller pieces from the broth were chopped tartar style and mixed with some finely chopped quick pickles.

We made a variety of tempura vegetables and beetroot yuzu puree/sauce. We glazed the meat with reduced broth.

It was absolutely divine, pork belly three ways, crispy veggies and quick pickles with beetroot yuzu sauce. We won the challenge.

Edited by Bojana (log)
  • Like 4