• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pate de Fruit/Jelly in Molded Chocolates?

shubashuba

Hi all! I've been pondering about the possibility of making a firm-ish non-ganache fruit layer in moulded chocolates. I was thinking about the more modernist side of things, but I haven't come across a hydrocolloid that actually makes cold-setting jellies. Probably the closest thing would be a jelly/jam or fluid gel from blitzing set jellies, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make something that was more firm?

Not sure exactly what you have in mind, but Ewald Notter has a molded chocolate with a raspberry layer.  First you fill the shell about 1/3 with what he calls a coulis, then the rest of the way with an orange-infused dark chocolate.  For the coulis, you heat raspberry purée with some sugar, then add pectin and more sugar, whisk like mad, then you cool so that it won't melt the chocolate shell and pipe it into the shell.  It's delicious, and you can make it as thick or thin as you wish.  I find that cooking it only a little, until it just begins to thicken, is best as it continues to thicken as it cools.  In addition, if it gets too thick to pipe, you can (contrary to what some pectin people say) thin it out with a little hot water.

You can make pate de fruits in a thin layer then cut it and insert it into your shell.  It won't be form-fitting, but you could float it between two layers of ganache, probably easiest in square or rectangular molds.  Or if you don't mind hand dipping you can make the pate de fruits, let cool, add the ganache layer, then cut and dip.

So I'm working on one of these right now. The recipe came from our Jean Marie Auboine workshop back in May and this is Melissa Coppel's championship recipe with my variation - downsized for 90 molds:

160 g Various purees (I used apricot, meyer lemon and passionfruit)

35 g Water

13 g Sugar

3 g Pectin NH

50 g Sugar

Combine purees, water and first sugar - cook to 50ºC

Whisk pectin and second sugar, add to mixture at 50º, and bring to boil, boil 2 min.

Spread and cool

Ready to pipe, or if too thick add a bit of juice.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yetichocolates that's quite similar to what I learnt to do! Except I do with it agar (no difference I suppose), but it's just not as chewy as a normal pate de fruit. I have to try the pipeable pate de fruit though! I'll be giving it a shot this weekend, will post some pics if it works out