• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandwiches That You Will Like

Jason Perlow

http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/sandwiches/

Note that our own Holly Moore's "Hollyeats.com" web site is listed in their "websites" section.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Beyond which, those so inclined can see him eat a Red's Lobster Roll and a Pat's Cheesesteak when it airs in February 02 on your local PBS station.  Be sure to buy the cookbook and the video too.

Sepal, the Falafel place featured in Watertown, Ma is very good. It's kind of amazing that they even found it, it's pretty far off the beaten path. I was speaking w/the owner recently and he is banking on the publicity from the show to give him an enormous boost.

• 1 month later...

Apologies to those who don't live in or around Boston or Pittsburgh...

This is apparently a new one-hour documentary by Rick Sebak, the guy who did "A Hotdog Story" (of which I caught a great rerun during my 3AM snack last night). The production covers east coast landmarks as well as smaller places and military sandwich research. Check it out tonight. Official show website is here.

The Sandwich documentary is also airing on the satellite national PBS schedule(Thurs at 8pm). As is the rerun of A Hot Dog program. Our local border PBS station is airing the Sandwich documentary tonight at 8pm(also re-airing A Hot Dog program this week).

--------------

Steve

Sepal's felafel balls are fine, but his sandwich suffers from the New England lack of a thick enough pita to handle the stuffing. The condiments he provides are lack-lustre. Maybe if he gets more publicity and business, he could improve the variety of his fillings and import better bread from NY or Montreal.

Good additions, typical of felafel in Palestine and Israel, are fried eggplant and frites and that is only the beginning. As I recall he does not usually offer hot sauce, though you can get pickled turnip and pickel spicy pepper.

RESEARCHGAL. Maybe you could pass on these suggestions to the owner, who is a very pleasant fellow and deserves success.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

I gotta tell ya. This sandwhich show was one of the

best food show experiences I have seen ...

What he said. I watched it BEFORE eating dinner, and it was all I could do to NOT eat everything including the plates, it made me so hungry. Did you notice that in the Katz's segment, every slicer cut it a little differently? How to match the hands slicing with the face -- so that we can go to the guy who does it the way we each like best ? :hmmm: And which was the place that did put everything, including fries, on the sandwich? I missed the name.

I wish they had spent some time on my favorite, though: the tuna salad sandwich. (So far, only Eisenberg's here in NYC seems worthy.) Well, that can be another show. :wink:

I also enjoyed the show. Has anyone had the sandwich that is so popular in Iowa? I can't remember the name, but it was just ground hamburger that was served loose on a hamburger bun with a spoon. No sauce or any real seasonings - it sounds kind of bland. The cheesesteak, the french dip, the lobster roll - they are all regional sandwiches that spread throughout the country - why hasn't this one.

johnjohn

For those in the NYC area who missed it (like me, watched a tape of The Shield from the night before), WNET is rerunning it on Sunday the 12th at 2:30pm.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Johnjohn: it's the "Maid-Rite." Struck me as something that absolutely relies on the quality of the meat -- they said they use ALL cuts ground together. Bland, yeah, but comforting, and showing off the essence of the ingredient. Too bad the buns looked so awful. :rolleyes:

And which was the place that did put everything, including fries, on the sandwich?  I missed the name.

That was the Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh (there's a link above) - I vaguely remember visiting there at 3 am when I was in college.

The loose meat sandwich brought back memories. My mom used to serve it at least twice a month.

We have a Maid-Rite here in Springfield and they claim that people ask them to Fedex sandwiches. I've never been because those loose meat sandwiches don't appeal to me. The Hotdog show also had Springfield's Cozy Dog Drive-In. I've been there and they're far from the best corn dogs I've ever had. The hotdog part was blah and the outer part was too greasy. I happen to like corndogs and was very disappointed with the Cozy Dog.

:wub: I grew up on Maid-Rites in Illinois, and it's the one thing I must have when I go back to visit. You can cook the meat "loose" at home, but it just doesn't taste the same. I do know that you must salt it after cooking (as we saw on the program), but what other magic they work on it is a mystery. Perhaps it's sitting on the steam table for so long.

Maid-Rites aren't as good as they used to be, when the wrapping paper came greasy. When you ask for "one with everything" you get mustard, pickle and onion. Ketchup is a special request, and if the waitress doesn't recognize you she might ask if you want ketchup. Root beer was the usual accompaniment.

The other food I miss is breaded pork tenderloins as wide as a dinner plate on a regular size hamburger bun, with pickle and mustard. They seem to have been replaced with that pre-processed all-breading stuff.

And about those thin-sliced pork chops mentioned on another thread--pound boneless chops (or tenderloin) thinly, bread (flour, water, breadcrumbs) and deep or pan fry for a homemade version of the above. Or rub with a dry rub, grill them and serve them as pork chop sandwiches.

Forgot the web site: http://www.maidrite.com/send_maid-rite.html

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I don't know how to post pictures -- sorry.

Here's a guy with a typical Iowa tenderloin sandwich. I don't miss them much.

http://www.ge-at.iastate.edu/courses/Geol_.../tenderloin.jpg

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Can someone in the Boston area do me a favor of driving up to Medford and trying out Hungry Herbs (if it's still there). I'll reimburse the price of the sandwich and $.25 a mile (maximum 10 miles) for gas.)

Best damn sandwiches in the world. They are glorious.

Take pictures. Tell Herb (real name, Dennis), that "Brookline" and "BU" say hello. If you bring your family, you'll be referred to throughout as "nice family."

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

OK, so I went to Herb's today. I had quite recently gorged myself on buffalo wings, so I passed on the Creole Cooler (a buffalo chicken sandwich, essentially?) and got the Parisian. This was a grilled chicken sub with liberal amounts of a thin chicken gravy, cheddar cheese, and sauteed mushrooms. This was quite good.

The lemon-pepper fries had great texture and aroma, though they went a little too heavy on the lemon powder or lemon salt or whatever powder was used to impart the lemon flavor. It was a huge portion that made great leftovers.

I asked for Dennis, but the woman at the cash register said that he wasn't in. I told her to tell him that Brookline and BU say hi, and she told me she'd write it down so she wouldn't forget.

I should scan the menu and post it. Really an amazing variety of sandwiches. On a steak, chicken, or turkey tip base you can get 20 or 30 different sandwiches. One of the new specials has coconut and fried bananas. They also have a great payphone. I'll make sure to go again whenever the Medford Krispy Kreme opens.