• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I make the coating for these Korean rice snacks?

GlorifiedRice

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/123/761/104/1277688519602_us-myalibaba-web3_1319.JPG

How do I make the clear colorless hard coating that these Korean puffed rice snacks are coated with?

Is it just melted sugar syrup? If so why doesnt it "warp" the puffed rice and cause it to disintegrate or

shrivel up?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

First let me say I am not familiar with these and I've never made any,  but rice cakes are made with a steamed rice that is sticky when it is cool enough to handle.  If you roll it in some non stick foil and let it finish cooling, it will stay like that.  If you want something sweet, perhaps you might have some success if you think about how rice crispy treats are made.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

No idea how to make the coating, but I love those things.  You can get them in the HMart in Upper Darby, and I'm sure there must be other Asian markets int he Philly area.  Down in Wilmington, DE I get them at the Newark Farmers Market or Yong's grocery in Elsmere.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/123/761/104/1277688519602_us-myalibaba-web3_1319.JPG

How do I make the clear colorless hard coating that these Korean puffed rice snacks are coated with?

Is it just melted sugar syrup? If so why doesnt it "warp" the puffed rice and cause it to disintegrate or

shrivel up?

Here is a recipe but it is all in Korean. From what I can gather looking at other recipes it seems like it is approximately 1 C of puffed rice to 1:1 ratio of sugar and rice syrup. Cook to the thread stage, add the puffed rice, and then form on oiled surface, and cut. 

The recipe above I think illustrates it pretty well, but her ratios are a little different, I think. I am tired and heading up to bed. If you want me to or if someone else wants they can tell you the recipe in the video. 

Sorry If I am not making sense.

Sorry the recipe for the crackers start around 10.45 minutes. You don't need everything she puts in, you can use only the puffed rice.

8 cups of brown rice

1 C rice syrup/corn syryp

1/2 C of brown sugar

1/2 C Roasted peanuts

1/2 C pumpkin seeds

1/2 C pine nuts

some slices of ginger

Some type of flour from Chejudo to make it pretty and taste better. (?)

She does two batches out of these ingredients because she makes two types. 

Place brown sugar and rice syrup in a pan place ginger slices for flavoring into the pan. Cook until you get "strings" falling from the spoon used to mix. Add the puffed rice nuts mixture on low heat and mix thoroughly. Put on gloves plastic or rubber rubbed with oil with the tray oiled. Roll into a flat rectangle, balls or you can roll them with an oiled sushi roller into cylinders. Do this before everything it gets cold or they will break. 

If anyone has better Korean, and can fill in or add please do! Sorry I do not work or affiliated with this SOSTV. It just was one of the first videos I found while looking it up that had the ingredients listed or stated.

Edited by milgwimper (log)