• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Prepared DECAF Coffee Drinks in Bottles (or cans)

gulfporter

I have not seen DECAF in any of the coffee drinks in our local groceries (Central Florida), including the Starbucks' offerings.  I googled DECAF for Starbucks and looks like they don't bottle any (I find that hard to believe, but their website doesn't show DECAF in bottles). 

My 91 y/o FIL loves iced coffee, the sweeter the better, but cannot have caffeine.  His foreign-born caregiver doesn't really understand iced coffees and we hate to burden her with another chore.  I was hoping to buy a case of prepared DECAF coffee drinks for his fridge (we visit every 6 weeks or so).

He is in DC-Metro so I'm wondering if there are some items that may be carried there (often better selection in DC/VA stores than here in FL). 

Anyone know of any DECAF bottled iced coffees (mocha, frappaciino...that sort of thing)?

Any possibility you can buy Starbucks decaf instant coffee and teach the caregiver to add some water to that, cool it in the fridge (or with ice) and then mix in a bit of sweetened condensed milk? All she would have to do is open a small foil packet for one drink and keep a can of the milk in the fridge.

Maybe you can buy some for yourself and try it out in advance so you will know exactly how to teach her. I would say you might actually be able to can your own using the above 'recipe' but I am not sure it should be done without a pressure canner as it is probably not acidic enough (though if it is not being kept long and is stored in the fridge it may be fine).

Also, I am not a sweetened coffee drinker but it seems to me that Starbucks may also stock powdered complete instant 'iced' coffee drinks - you may want to check with them by phone or in person. Not sure if they have decaf ones but it would not surprise me.

Edited by Deryn (log)

Like I said, we don't want to put any extra burden on the caregiver.  She is in her 60s as is her husband who does the home maintenance/repairs, transports my FIL (wheel chair and walker) to appointments, also the lawn care, snow shoveling).  They are trustworthy and dedicated to my FIL (long story short: my late MIL sponsored this couple from Central America to the US in the 1970s).  We fear their retirement will put an end to my FIL's ability to stay in his own home as finding affordable and trustworthy in-home care in DC Metro may not be feasible.  So, no new burdens on the caregiver/spouse that aren't critical to his care.  

I was just looking for a treat that I know he'd enjoy that I could stock in the fridge.  

Nothing powdered at the Starbucks website and again, nothing DECAF at Starbucks website in bottles.  It's not like it's just the aged that have to limit caffeine, but evidently the bottled iced coffees are part of the "energy drink" market, hence the caffeine. 

I haven't seen anything like that.

Could you cold-brew some ground decaf beans, add the mix-ins, then freeze it in portions? (use a small plastic container that is narrower than his cup, pop out when frozen) The portions could be vacuum sealed, or just stored in freezer bags. The only fuss would be pulling them out the night before to thaw in the fridge.

When we have large meetings at City Hall or at other venues, we put out these Starbucks boxes, which offer the option of decaf.  Check with your local Starbucks for availability.  We just get the boxes, not the cups and other accessories.  The boxes can stay in the fridge and coffee can be drawn as needed.

While I recognize this isn't quite what you asked for, perhaps this can give you some ideas, like adding sugar or other amendments to the box, or maybe asking the local Starbucks if they can custom fill a box with your drink preference.  I have a vague recollection of having a box of fancy coffee at one of our meetings.

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/brewed-coffee/coffee-traveler

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Single serving bottles/cans is what we need.  The caregiver leaves my FIL at the house between lunch and dinner, with a small cooler  at his chairside (he has one of those lift chairs/recliners)....with bottled water, fruit, yogurt, juiceboxes, Ensure...stuff like that.  My FIL is ambulatory but relies heavily on his walker and the less steps, the better.  I was hoping to add a new drink to his supply, for something different.  I make him iced coffees in the blender when I'm there, using his decaf brew.  

I really find it hard to believe that with all the bottled coffee drinks out there (even Krispy Kreme has joined the ranks), none are decaf. 

I will contact Trader Joes and Whole Foods and see if they stock iced coffees sans caffeine.  

Single serving bottles/cans is what we need.  [...]  I really find it hard to believe that with all the bottled coffee drinks out there (even Krispy Kreme has joined the ranks), none are decaf. 

I will contact Trader Joes and Whole Foods and see if they stock iced coffees sans caffeine.  

Check out RealbeanzMaybe this one will work for you.

And then there's this one: It’s cold coffee like you’ve never had before.  It’s not watered down or stripped of any flavor.  There are three to choose from, Menemsha Mud Regular, Decaf, & Espresso.  Add your sugar and cream etc., or drink it black  Scroll down on the page to Cold Brew Coffee.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Just an FYI...Decaf coffee still contains caffeine, albeit in a lower amount than regular coffee but it's still in there.

Here's a list of the caffeine amounts in Starbucks beverages:

"The Complete Guide to Starbucks Caffeine"

So even those off-the-shelf bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos you can buy in the grocery stores still have caffeine in them.

Good luck in your search.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Just an FYI...Decaf coffee still contains caffeine, albeit in a lower amount than regular coffee but it's still in there.

Here's a list of the caffeine amounts in Starbucks beverages:

"The Complete Guide to Starbucks Caffeine"

So even those off-the-shelf bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos you can buy in the grocery stores still have caffeine in them.

Good luck in your search.

IF Starbucks had decaf in bottles (it doesn't) it'd be in the 15 mg range which is doable for my FIL. 

I found data on Realbeanz at a review site, that says there is zero caffeine in its decaf product, but can't vouch for its accuracy.  I have sent an email to Realbeanz re: actual caffeine in it. 

Also, some Whole Foods carries Realbeanz, unfortunately none in the area near my FIL.  I have sent the local Whole Foods and email asking about the product and whether it could be ordered for their store. 

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Having had a grandmother in a similar situation, I understand gulfporter's not wanting to burden the caretakers with another chore.  Yes, this would be a burden.  Not arduous, of course, but it would be another thing to do and keep track of.

• Like 1

The Realbeanz that Shel_B posted looks promising. Illy makes a mochacchino that has 45 mg of caffeine per can: not exactly decaf, but less than other caffeine-containing cans.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is hard to find decaf options.  I've looked more (at random times) for just unsweetened tea or coffee. 

I'm sure you already googled it, too, but vitacost seems to carry it at some locations (I don't know if there is one by your FIL).  They also have it for $2/bottle and free shipping with $50 purchase (though it looks out of stock right now)  http://www.vitacost.com/real-beanz-iced-coffee-relax-decaffeinated

It looks like it's out of stock a lot online. 

Edited by cookingofjoy (log)