• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for "Light" St. Patrick's Day Menu Ideas

The traditional boiled corned beef dinner or a steak & Guinness Pie will be too heavy for us this year as we're in Central Florida with highs in the 80s.  

I have access to excellent smoked salmon from a local fish-only smokehouse; also have access to fresh salmon at local markets.  

Is there any particular Irish fashion to serve smoked salmon as a meal; i.e., with soda bread (??) and other specific condiments??  Or any interesting but light meal with fresh salmon that's an Irish tradition? 

How about a light(ish) Irish dessert idea?  

Irish Cream mousse?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What about corned beef sandwiches and fries?  Grasshopper pie?  

Sadly, we've yet to find decent corned beef locally.  Grasshopper pie??  It's green but is it Irish  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Fish cakes and fish pie are common. How about salmon with cabbage, or Irish roasted salmon with some roasted vegetables?

An easy light dessert that is an Irish tradition is a berry cream. Simply take some fresh, washed blackberries, raspberries or strawberries, mash or juice some of them and add to fresh cream in a ratio of ¼ cup juice to  ¾ cup cream and add a tablespoon of sugar per cup of liquid. Whip the cream, and serve over more washed berries.

• Like 1

Colman Andrews said it's Irish to serve smoked salmon with brown bread or soda bread. From his cookbook The Country Cooking of Ireland. Go to page 115. Also links to some other salmon recipes in the book.

https://books.google.com/books?id=nKBdBblqiX0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=colman+andrews+irish+country+cooking&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oQQFVfrHFZCMoQS_goDICQ&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=snippet&q=salmon&f=false

good luck with your Irish feast!

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Along side the salmon you can serve something green. Mashed potatoes with kale (or a number of green vegetables from scallions to cilantro), parsley and garlic lime juice rice, or mashed peas. You can make a watercress soup, a parsley soup, a spinach soup, as it is green, you can add a piece of salmon in the middle. Maybe try to make a healthy sheoards pie using cauliflower to top and mushrooms, mixed with some vegetables as the base.

Instead of lots of lamb, you can make little skewers on the BBQ.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. 

Going with smoked salmon on Irish soda bread: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/smoked-salmon-on-irish-soda-bread-with-chive-butter-recipe.html  mainly because I sampled some Irish soda bread at a local bakery and it was quite good.  We'll have a platter of chilled asparagus on the side.  Not sure if asparagus is "Irish" but it is green :rolleyes:

For dessert, my DH opted for Irish Coffee with Jamesons and fresh whipped cream.  

Thanks BKEats; we posted simultaneously.  I like the peas idea; so instead of aspargus, maybe a pea salad with some mint.  

Lamb will be on our table for Easter (up north with family) which is just around the corner (4/5).  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Sadly, we've yet to find decent corned beef locally.    :rolleyes:

Yes. Me too.

Not hard at all to make your own. I keep some frozen for when I need a reuben or an Irish stir fry for breakfast.