• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maestro

robert40

My wife and I went there for our first anniversary in November and the experience was all I was hoping and more. I would just concur with the advice of doing the tasting menu so that you can mix and match between the different menus. We chose the seven course and that was definitely a little too much for us. I would also like to second the advice to put yourself in Vincent's hands, we decided that we wanted to have a glass of wine to match each (well almost each) course and Vincent's selections were amazing. It was also a good thing that we happened to get a room at the hotel that night as trying to drive home would have not been advisable. :biggrin: Anyway, enjoy the experience and I look forward to hearing about it.

I, too, will say that the 7 course is too much. My wife and I went there with another couple on Saturday for a birthday. We felt adventurous, so we chose the 7-course over the 5-course. I guess it was poor planning on my part, but I thought it would 5-courses plus a cheese course plus a dessert. WRONG! We started out with the complimentary flan. Then we proceeded to go through 7 courses after that. I couldn't even finish the 7th course (the meat course), which was really the 8th (if you include the flan at the beginning). All I wanted after that was a small dessert so that I could taste what they had to offer. The first (OF 3!!) dessert course was a chocolate mousse because it was my friend's birthday. We were then served a large plate of 3 more desserts (each). After that, I was just praying that it was over. I was wrong again. We were served three more small desserts each. I could barely walk after that. Over all, I would have to say that the food was some of the best and most creative I have ever had. We cherished every morsal on the plates. I would highly recommend Maestro to anyone and would rate it as one of the top 3 dining experiences of my life!

We decided to have the sommelier pair wines with our meals. Although he did a great job, I feel that Todd at Restaurant Eve and Jarrad at Nectar far surpassed his ability to match the wines. Every glass that both Todd and Jarrad brought to us, was equally as impressive as the meals themselves.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

• 2 months later...

Heard a rumor that Romain Renard is moving to Maestro from Le Paradou. Anyone know if that's true? I thought Sr. Trabocchi made all his own desserts, but maybe even a maestro gets tired of doing everything at once.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Heard a rumor that Romain Renard is moving to Maestro from Le Paradou. Anyone know if that's true? I thought Sr. Trabocchi made all his own desserts, but maybe even a maestro gets tired of doing everything at once.

I thought this had already happened (Fabio, can you confirm?) Renard's desserts at Le Paradou (and supposedly at Café 15, though I never had them there) were world-class. This guy is a major, major pastry chef.

• 3 months later...

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just wanted to bump Maestro up and report on the good things going on out in Tysons. I am sure most of you saw in last weeks Post food section that Maestro was having Italian wine tastings on Monday and Tuesday of this week. My wife and I attended last night and were very impressed with the experience. I have been wanting to go for dinner for quite some time and this event seemed like a good test drive especially for the wine side of the house. It sure did not disappoint as Vincent Feraud is a genuine and generous host. Monday was also special because the restaurant was closed so the seating for the tasting was set up as if we were an audience watching the pristine, but empty, open kitchen.

On the tasting menu were

Sauvignon Blanc, Ronco del Cero, Venica 2003, Friuli

Casalferro, Ricasoli 200, Tuscany

Brunello di Montalcino, La Gerla, Gli Angeli Vineyard, Sergio Rossi 1998, Tuscany

Barolo Cannubi Boschis, Sandrone 1999, Piedmont

Amarone della Valpolicella B.G, Bussola 2001, Veneto

We were also served a plate of various accompanyments to pair with the wine.

The first two were pretty good but the Brunello really knocked our socks off and it was my favorite of the night. "Since we finished a little early," Vincent brought out a stellar 2000 Pinot Noir from Ponzi. Finally, and here's wear my memory gets a little fuzzy as the pours for the evening where over half a glass, Vincent brought two bottles of a 2002 Burgandy for Mardi Gras to finish the evening.

Should Maestro hold one of these events in the future, $65/person is quite a steal for an hour and half with Vincent. I am planning on returning to Maestro soon to visit him again and to complete the experience by enjoying Fabio's excellent food.

What I left DC to do, Corkscrew

• 3 months later...

Not to take away from the other possibly more substantial and creative things that Maestro does so well, but they are, without a doubt, turning out the best pasta dishes I've ever had the opportunity to eat.

Between jenrus and me last night, we worked in five different pasta dishes - duck confit tortellini, goat cheese agnolotti with 100 year old balsamico, salt cod gnocchi, tagliolini with sweet Hawaiian shrimp and lobster ravioli with ginger bisque . All five were as good as I've had anywhere. And last night reminded me that the lobster ravioli is my favorite restaurant dish I've ever had.

Aside from one ill-conceived halibut dish in a red-wine sauce (and an overpoached egg yolk in the same dish) everything we had was nothing short of excellent, right down to the warm pot of madelines and half-dozen other petit-fours and mignardises we were given at the end.

I wasn't entirely convinced after the first visit I described above one year ago (although my memories of that visit grew more fond as time passed), but last night made it clear to me that Maestro (along with Citronelle) is several steps above any other restaurant the area has to offer and as good as any I've been to, anywhere I've visited.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

bilrus,

Excellent report and very convincing that I need to try Maestro.

I can't believe I started this thread more then two years ago and I've yet to visit.

Hopefully this summer.

Robert R

• 1 month later...
Based on my experience tonight, Maestro is officially knocked off its pedestal.  From a full-blown seven-course Creazione:  one great course (sea bass), one good course (agnolotti stuffed with foie gras confit), and the rest a bunch of also-rans.  Nothing was bad, but not much else was great either.  My friend and I began hypothesizing halfway through the meal that the dishes from La Tradizione tended to be better than the ones from the L'Evoluzione, but that was dispelled by a lame, inexplicably overcooked partridge dish.  Vincent Feraud was great as usual, but the restaurant slipped vis-a-vis the other two times I went.  Quite uninspired and disappointing.  Just goes to show:  you can neither annoint nor trash a restaurant based on one visit.  At this money, I expect excellence; it was not to be found tonight.

Rocks.

It's almost two years later but I just wanted to absolutely echo your opinion of Maestro based on our experience the other night. Nothing bad (well, maybe the ravioli stuffed with goat cheese), not much great or even near great. Portions mostly microscopic (has it always been like this?). Service never bad, but at times bordered on indifferent. As you said: Uninspired and disappointing. Certainly not worthy of its Zagat food or service rating. Vincent still a treat.

Be interested to hear what others recent experiences have been.

• 2 months later...

So, what's new at Maestro? Anyone have any experience lately?

Who is currently number one in the D.C. area?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

So, what's new at Maestro?  Anyone have any experience lately?

Who is currently number one in the D.C. area?

I was last there in May, so I'm sure the menu has changed, but I am also confident that one thing hasn't - Maestro is the answer to your second question.

It is plush and sophisticated and, most importantly, the food tastes good.

Bill Russell

from my experience, maestro is the best all-around restaurant.

service is excellent, the kitchen amazing, the food excellent, all the little extras delicious.

while extremely expensive, i have found that maestro is a better value than the other high priced places in the city or nearby.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

I am heading there for the first time next week and am so excited! Has anyone tried the vegetarian tasting menu?

I haven't done the tasting menu, but the one of the best dishes I've had there was a mushroom dish fordered off the veg menu. I can't imagine you can go wrong with it.

Bill Russell

• 1 year later...

With the departure of Trabocchi to NYC Maestro is closed. Check the website from Ritz-Carlton for details.

JMahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.