• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi all

MartinW

Hello, I am 43, married, a new dad, (my son is 9 months old) and an avid home cook. My wife is Chinese (from Shanghai originally), and so I am learning how to cook a lot of the dishes she misses from home. I enjoy cooking many different types of cuisines. However, my major area of interests right now are in learning to prepare dishes from various Asian cuisines (Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean and Japanese primarily), cooking the south German food of my youth (my mother came from Swabia),  learning more modernist techniques (besides pots, pans, knives and many standard kitchen tools such as a food processor and a stand mixer, I have an immersion circulator, a whipping siphon and a small collection of hydrocolloids and some transglutaminase, etc.) and preparing homemade baby food for my son. I was single until 2013 and live in a very small town (pop. 812), so eating well meant cooking for myself most of the time.  Now I prepare about 75% of the meals we eat at home, and my many years of cooking and being interested in food are coming in quite handy. I look forward to learning more from all of you and also contributing when I think it will be useful.

Martin

• Like 6

Hey MartinW,

Welcome to eGullet!

There are several experienced and skilled Asian cooks on the board currently and a real wealth of information on the subject of Asian cooking, recipes, techniques and ingredients in the archives. This is also an excellent place to learn about modernist cuisine, so it looks like you've come to the right place.

I'm looking forward to your participation.

> ^ . . ^ <

Yes, welcome, MartinW!  With your interests, you should fit right in here.  Congratulations on the baby!

When you're cooking food that your wife misses, do you find elements of your Southern German food working its way into the dish?  I'm basically wondering whether there's an intersection between the two cuisines that makes for interesting fusion dishes, or you have to choose between to sides of the world for any given meal.   :smile:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown