• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy (upcoming) Pi Day!!

The mathematical expression of Pi is celebrated on 3.14 every year, so it's next Saturday.  

I'm planning to make two Pi's....one savory (a samosa pie topped with puff pastry) and one sweet (fresh strawberries over a lime curd).  

What are you making for Pi Day? 

PS: Our local airport in St. Petersburg has the FAA airport code of PIE and on Pi Day they give away hand pies to passengers in the terminal.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 4

I guess I jumped the gun... made a key lime pie this morning. I'll have to think of something for next weekend.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks for the reminder. It is a great reason to make the spinach-ricotta pie from the original Moosewood Cookbook. With apple-pear pie for dessert.

I wish I had a picture of the pi plate that I gave my sister (then a mathematician) years ago. A ceramic pie plate with the greek letter pi in the center and the numerical  expression of pi running around the edge - at least as many numbers as would fit. It is appropriate that the apple-pear pie recipe is hers. 

I see that the pi plate is still available on Amazon - great gift for any mathematician who loves to cook.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

ElaineA....you can get a similar effect with the top crust: 

Pi_pie2.jpg

That is wonderful! 

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Lol

I meant like a chicken or venison one..... :unsure:  :laugh:

I did too! My kitchen is being gutted so I can't cook. Although an actual ' pot' pie...I could imagine would be interesting.

I'd also love to make a lobster pot pie. Everyone's posts sound SO good!

• Like 2

If I'd have thought ahead better I'd be making a crawfish pie......as it is, I'm making pizza.  Hey, that's a pie, right?  AND, be afraid ya'll.  I'm attempting to make a pie crust for a peach pie.  I will report back.

Oh, and HAPPY PI DAY!!!!

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

If I'd have thought ahead better I'd be making a crawfish pie......as it is, I'm making pizza.  Hey, that's a pie, right?  AND, be afraid ya'll.  I'm attempting to make a pie crust for a peach pie.  I will report back.

Oh, and HAPPY PI DAY!!!!

Dang, wish I'd thought of crawfish pie, too.  

Let's see.  Pizza: round, has a crust.....yes it's a pie.  Though growing up in NE PA, the pizzas were always rectangular and were called 'trays.'  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I ALMOST forgot it was Pi Day! 

Will make a stove-top Key Lime Pie (and hope it sets up and chills by evening).  

• Like 2

Oooh!  I forgot it's Pi Day today!  Incidentally, I made a shepherd's pie last night, but it's not round.  I guess we will have leftover non-round shepherd's pie for dinner again tonight!  

• Like 2

My totally grabbed-it-out-of-the-air attempt at steak and Guiness (well, actually, Green Flash Double Stout) pi. Reasonably decent, although Child A considered it "too beery." Didn't look too pretty -- I forgot to reset the oven temp, and it was too hot.

piday.jpg.80c8614c79fdaf3aa982a9fe4be0e4

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com