• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Cookbooks Are you Actively Using?

gfweb

My cookbook use is completely different: I typically only use one cookbook at a time, and stick with it for weeks. I find it's a good way of learning about new and unfamiliar cuisines, especially if they have a lot of specialty ingredients that I can buy all at once and then use up in the course of going through the book. Once I've gone through it I often won't revisit it for years. Right now I'm transitioning from Fuschia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice to Rick Bayless's new More Mexican Everyday.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Amazed by that collection, Anna - haven't even heard of most of them. Didn't know about that Japanese pickles book that came out last year.

I second the Fuchsia Dunlop choice - considering how little time I have to cook these days, I'm surprised at how often she's out of the bookcase.

Apart from that, my Italian books are pored over by my younger son. In English, Hazan, and in Japanese, a series of books put out by Girolamo Panzetta, a celebrity here in Japan...but the recipes are GOOOOOOOD!

DSCN4670a_800.jpg

In actuality probably only the bottom three in the last month.  

Chen's book serves more as an occasional reference book, with some ideas derived from it, Lau-Anusasananan's book as occasional reference and for ideas. Other books even less frequently, although Hazan gets looked into from time to time.

This is a frequent resource.

I look at Dunlop's books usually when something puzzling (to me) is posted about a dish of hers here on eG and I am bothered enough by it to check that she actually said or indicated whatever it was.

I am intending to use Leela Punyaratabandhu's book more frequently over the next few months.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right now for the latest beer cook off

Real Beer and Good Eats by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly.  The recipes are good but I also love the narrative that deals with the history of brewing then Prohibition and the rebirth the brewing and using beer to cook.

Bunny Day's Catch 'em, Hook 'em and Cook 'em as now John is into a fish and seafood phase. 

Add to that Jacqueline Pell Tuttle's book on seafood and fish..........

Now if I could just get him into more veg!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Here are the books I used the past month or so. Blue tabs for recipes I've tried over the years.

Also a huge fan of Eat Your Books. How else would I keep track of everything... It's a great resource to search through my 100+ cookbooks (and cocktail books).

17130021288_54b933b797_z.jpg

I have the Suzanne Goin books but really have not cooked much from the.  I love EYB too and will check out what you and others have said about the recipes in those books.  If there was one recipe from each book that you really like can you share that?

cheers

My cookbook use is completely different: I typically only use one cookbook at a time, and stick with it for weeks. I find it's a good way of learning about new and unfamiliar cuisines, especially if they have a lot of specialty ingredients that I can buy all at once and then use up in the course of going through the book. Once I've gone through it I often won't revisit it for years. Right now I'm transitioning from Fuschia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice to Rick Bayless's new More Mexican Everyday.

Your brain polar opposite my brain!  :)