• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Italian Meringue

AAQuesada

I want to make a coconut italian meringue/ coconut marshmallow fluff to pipe on top a black sesame pudding. Can I make a standard italian meringue and finish with coconut cream? (sweetened/or not?+?) What do you guys think..

You can, I'd go with cream because it's more flavorful than coconut milk; as Lisa suggests you can also add a coconut flavor in the form of a compound (I like Amoretti's Toasted Coconut) or an extract (I've used the one from Albert Uster, it's ok but I like the Amoretti one a lot more).  Have no idea if you can find coconut extract in the spice section of a supermarket but my experience with those kind of extracts is that they can be bitter if too much is used. Maybe even consider doing a coconut marshmallow; or a coconut dacquoise if the other ideas don't work as well as you'd hoped.

• Like 1

Where are you? If you have a good Asian supermarket nearby, look for packets of coconut cream powder. They are 50 or 60 g for about a dollar in seattle. Dry powdered coconut flavor so you're not adding liquid to the meringue.

• Like 2

Not sure if this will work since coconut puree contains fat, but whenever I want a fruit flavored meringue, I use powdered egg whites and follow the recipe on the package to make meringue and use fruit puree in place of the water. Perfect results every time with raspberry, strawberry, passion fruit, etc.

• Like 1

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Where are you? If you have a good Asian supermarket nearby, look for packets of coconut cream powder. They are 50 or 60 g for about a dollar in seattle. Dry powdered coconut flavor so you're not adding liquid to the meringue.

I am in Los Angeles, I have very good Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese markets around although usually I end up in the Korean or Japanese markets. That is a product I  have never heard of before (everytime I think I know everything ...;) Will look for it, do you know what section it is usually in. 

I am in Los Angeles, I have very good Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese markets around although usually I end up in the Korean or Japanese markets. That is a product I  have never heard of before (everytime I think I know everything ...;) Will look for it, do you know what section it is usually in. 

It is with the cans of coconut milk, Kaya and Chaokoh are two brands I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a silly question, but when would you add the coconut cream powder? Do you melt it with the sugar and egg whites or do you add it at the end with your vanilla? If you do that, does the powder dissolve or does it become grainy? I am really interested in this product, but not sure how to use it in this application.

Thanks.

This may be a silly question, but when would you add the coconut cream powder? Do you melt it with the sugar and egg whites or do you add it at the end with your vanilla? If you do that, does the powder dissolve or does it become grainy? I am really interested in this product, but not sure how to use it in this application.

Thanks.

hmm, I've never actually tried it in that application, but I think you would want to add it at the end, after you have a stable meringue.  I think it would dissolve but i can't promise.  I use it mixed with toasted coconut so I can't tell if the powder texture can still be detected because it is already grainy.  You could also mix it with the minimum amount of water possible to make a thick coconut milk paste, though of course added liquid will soften your meringue/marshmallow.  Gelatin or hotter cooking will help with that if you are going more marshmallow-y.

hmm, I've never actually tried it in that application, but I think you would want to add it at the end, after you have a stable meringue.  I think it would dissolve but i can't promise.  I use it mixed with toasted coconut so I can't tell if the powder texture can still be detected because it is already grainy.  You could also mix it with the minimum amount of water possible to make a thick coconut milk paste, though of course added liquid will soften your meringue/marshmallow.  Gelatin or hotter cooking will help with that if you are going more marshmallow-y.

I did see a product called desiccated coconut that was a not too fine powder next to the regular dried coconut in the korean market. I suppose I could run it through the vita prep  and add this at the end