• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grated bone marrow

cookalong

A while back I had an outstanding beef tartare at a restaurant. It was topped with something I first thought was grated butter, but later I read that it was bone marrow. It was grated and very buttery, melt-in-your-mouth and worked very well with the beef. Any idea how I can create something like this at home? The only time I cooked with bone marrow (except for stocks), I soaked them for a day or so, pushed the marrow out of the bone, and fried them briefly with panko.

How would you go about making grated bone marrow? Is it enough to soak, push it out and perhaps freeze, or does it need to be cooked?

Freezing would be necessary. Another option would be making it it into a powder which could give you a melt in your mouth texture

You might be onto something interesting there.  With Maltodextrin, maybe?

I'm not sure if I can source marrow here, but I may just have to try so I can play with this.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

On Iron Chef America I've seen challengers make bone marrow powder a couple times. I believe they rendered the fat from the marrow and blended it into N-Zorbit in a food processor. As for grating, I'd pop the marrow out of the bones after soaking and then cook the low-temperature (like 130-135F) for long enough to set any proteins and kill any nasties that might be in there. You don't need a fancy setup to do that... an improvised setup using a cooler, hot water, and Ziplocks would work fine. Then chill, pat dry, freeze, and grate.