• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrot Top 'Pesto?' ??

rotuts

in today's NYTimes 'Food' section there is an article called 'Starve a Landfill'

its  mostly about recent requirements to waste less food and to compost rather than toss out

into the general garbage

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/dining/efficiency-in-the-kitchen-to-reduce-food-waste.html?ref=dining&_r=0

however, the add some Rx's for things generally tossed out or now composted :

Carrot Top Pesto struck me as a bit odd :

Blanch carrot tops, then make pesto.

fair enough.

has anyone done this ?  what's it like ?

as I thought

so  ....   into the composting bin makes a lot more sense.

of course you can compost those tops through a Rabbit and eventually make a

very tasty dish should the Rabbit get cranky ....

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Never made pesto but did try to saute particularly good looking carrot tops from a farmers market carrot bunch.  I love all kind of greens, can eat them all day long, but carrot tops did not taste good at all.  Only tried it once, now throw them away.

Carrot tops have a unique taste. Kind of astringent, but not in that oxalate kind of way. Vaguely in the dill spectrum, but different.

Maybe use a little in a cole slaw.....

Nah.

As a coincidence, last night I was reading Elizabeth Andoh's Washoku:  Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen.  Andoh suggests using minced carrot tops in soup.  Japan may have limited space for landfills...though I suppose one could always throw them in the ocean.

Beet tops, in contrast, I find quite tasty.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou