• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Fruit

Fat Guy

Jaymes:  Hope you are serious!  Wow, you Texans are Lucky Ducks.  Peaches!

Plus, except for a wretched hour in Dallas/Ft. Worth airport, I've never been to Texas.  You would seem like the perfect guide.

Aside:  Why don't you organize Texas Culinary tours.  You'd be great at it.

Only an hour? We were stuck there for 14.5 hours on the way to Alabama last month. Damn American Airlines. :angry:

Now y'all have me thinking about a certain white nectarine I had two summers ago at the farmer's market in Marin Co. Last summer they were good, but not that good. The peaches were good too, but they weren't that one batch of nectarine. But still, peach/nectarine and fresh blueberry gallettes. . . . How many more months 'til summer? :smile:

I don't think I can choose just one favorite fruit.

Are you sure you won't reconsider organizing tours for egullet? :wink:

Jaymes:  

Aside:  Why don't you organize Texas Culinary tours.  You'd be great at it.

Are you sure you won't reconsider organizing tours for egullet? :wink:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Actually, I did think about that once. In the travel business, they call it "in-bound." And I considered doing "Texas in-bound" tours.

But, thankfully thought better of it.

As my friend (and co-owner of my former travel agency) once put it, "You know, I'd just love this business if it weren't for all those pesky customers."

:laugh:

I'm sorry, but can't you just imagine trying to please this lot??? :wacko:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A RIPE pineapple is a thing of beauty.

White peaches. Mandarin oranges.

Cranshaw melons.

And don't get me started on berries. (mmm, berries.)

SA

PS. Who can forget the mighty avocado? (I need an avocado lassi right about now...)

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

When I travelled to Spain several years ago, I found a wonderful fresh fruit in the markets... it was late spring, early summer. The fruits were about the size of golf balls, maybe a little bigger, with orange/yellow flesh, and a large, smooth brown pit in the middle. The flesh was very, very juicy, and was both citrisy and sweet, like a peach. I have no idea what these things are called. Anyone have an idea?

When I travelled to Spain several years ago, I found a wonderful fresh fruit in the markets... it was late spring, early summer. The fruits were about the size of golf balls, maybe a little bigger, with orange/yellow flesh, and a large, smooth brown pit in the middle. The flesh was very, very juicy, and was both citrisy and sweet, like a peach. I have no idea what these things are called. Anyone have an idea?

Sounds like a loquat, which are popular in Eastern-Asia and the Med. Taste very refreshing if nice and ripe, but often have a high pip to flesh ratio.

Loquat (Japanese apple)

I think the French for loquat/medlar is nape (sp?. They are delicious though the horsechestnut-like pit in the middle takes up a lot of space. As Dave said the color can be yellow as well as the rich orange on the web-site. The orange ones are usually riper and sweeter. The Hebrew is SHESEK. I have had them in France and the eastern Mediterranean.

I'm sorry, but can't you just imagine trying to please this lot??? :wacko:

(Dope slap to forehead)

Doh! What was I thinking!!

So are you with Mr. P about tourists? :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Ripe fruit, perfectly ripe fruit, any perfectly ripe fruit. Seen, alas, all too seldom.

No one seems to have mentioned one of my favorites: persimmons (Hayachi, not the Fuji).

Also, I'm surprised so few people specified the variety of apple, pear, cherry, as I don't find all varieties equal.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Really impossible to say, because on any given day in the right season any piece of any kind of fruit can be supurb. Nevertheless, four that stand out are Peruvian mangoes that we bought many years ago from Robert Is Here and ate with lunch at one of the picnic tables in Flamingo; the Hand melons you buy in August on the way to the races in Saratoga; the first time I ever tasted a comice pear about 30 years ago and the dried organic dates we've been buying lately on 30th Avenue in Astoria.

My posting about ripe fruit and how to find it aroused a bit of interest. Perhaps there would be some interest in setting up a forum -- call it Vendage or the Peak Season -- where members could post up-to-date information on the peak picking periods of local fruits. I live in fresh berry, apple, and peach country. Regularly reports of such seasonal activities appear in the local press. I am sure others have access to similar information. Beyond the well-known cherry-picking festival in Traverse City, Michigan, there must be thousands of similar as well as less-organized events all over the world. It would be fun to know when and where they are occurring and it could be an additional attraction to gourmet galavanting.

My proposal is that a kind of notice board forum could be established where members could post this information. It would not be a discussion forum, though of course it could be spun off into such a thread as interest arose.

My posting about ripe fruit and how to find it aroused a bit of interest.  Perhaps there would be some interest in setting up a forum -- call it Vendage or the Peak Season -- where members could post up-to-date information on the peak picking periods of local fruits.  I live in fresh berry, apple, and peach country.  Regularly reports of such seasonal activities appear in the local press.  I am sure others have access to similar information.  Beyond the well-known cherry-picking festival in Traverse City, Michigan, there must be thousands of similar as well as less-organized events all over the world.  It would be fun to know when and where they are occurring and it could be an additional attraction to gourmet galavanting.   

My proposal is that a kind of notice board forum could be established where members could post this information.  It would not be a discussion forum, though of course it could be spun off into such a thread as interest arose.

I think this would be great. Apart for my own garden (Mostly useless beauy type flowers) I have been very disappointed with "Local produce," Same old hard tasteless stuff sold in the supermarkets.

I would love to have a guide to what's out there within a hundred miles radius. Anything for a good peach!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My posting about ripe fruit and how to find it aroused a bit of interest.  Perhaps there would be some interest in setting up a forum -- call it Vendage or the Peak Season -- where members could post up-to-date information on the peak picking periods of local fruits.  I live in fresh berry, apple, and peach country.  Regularly reports of such seasonal activities appear in the local press.  I am sure others have access to similar information.  Beyond the well-known cherry-picking festival in Traverse City, Michigan, there must be thousands of similar as well as less-organized events all over the world.  It would be fun to know when and where they are occurring and it could be an additional attraction to gourmet galavanting.   

My proposal is that a kind of notice board forum could be established where members could post this information.  It would not be a discussion forum, though of course it could be spun off into such a thread as interest arose.

This is a great idea. I'd be interested in posting on what's available and at peak season in local farmers' markets (New York area), and also in seeing the same for other regions, as well as the idea of posting dates and information on food festivals/farm tours/pick-your-own farms. Since we can't seem to get a recipe forum going, it might also be a good forum for recipes using the produce right when it's in season.

No one has mentioned two of my favorites, sapote and persimmon -both the fuyu and hachiya). I highly recommend you track both down, especially if you are located near the southern coast. Make sure these fruits are nice and ripe before chomping down on them.

:biggrin: