• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exactly what temp. is bare simmer?

torolover

Yeah, 180 to 190 degrees.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

212F. Exact boiling point of water. Water cannot bubble (simmer) until it gets to 212F.

First you see bubbles forming at below 212F, that can be dissolved air being driven out at lower than 212F.

Then the bottom of the pot gets barely at 212F and water starts to boil, but the bubbles of steam will get smaller as they rise pass thru water near the top which is colder than the bottom's 212F due to evaporative cooling. 

dcarch

• Like 2

What temp is a gentle simmer?  These descriptions are annoying!   Is gentle simmer the same temp as bare simmer?

For example recipes for cooking stocks or braising meats they say cook at a bare simmer or heat right when you see small bubbles.  What exact temp is this?   

If bubbles start forming at 212F, then boiling and bare simmer or gentle simmer is pretty much the same thing!

Edited by torolover (log)

Physics aside, simmer starts approx 190F in my kitchen.  (Sea level).  Small bubble stream around edges.   Approx 210 is a boil, 212 is a roiling boil.    Stocks are simmered not boiled when you don't want to cook off marrow and other "stuff" in bones and make the stock cloudy.

Quick google found: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-rolling-boil.htm .

Is it just me or does anyone else notice it takes alot less heat to get a pot of chili to bubble then it does a pot of water? No, seriously im not joking. I find i have to almost put my burner on the lowest setting to prevent it from splattering everywhere.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice it takes alot less heat to get a pot of chili to bubble then it does a pot of water? No, seriously im not joking. I find i have to almost put my burner on the lowest setting to prevent it from splattering everywhere.

Probably because it's more viscous- the first bubbles formed will be bigger, and they'll be more stable as they get to the surface.

The boiling point will generally be higher, because there's so much stuff mixed with the water.

Bubbles = steam = 100 degrees C at sea level. This temperature is at the bottom of the pot, and there can be quite a steep temperature gradient, decreasing towards the surface. As the bubble rises it will shrink and lose heat to the surrounding liquid.

With a viscous substance such as chili, I find that a layer forms at the bottom of the pot that is much thicker and that concentrates the heat into smaller areas that create the bubbles with less energy input.

Simon