• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Niagara Food and Wine Festival

ElsieD

We are thinking of going down this way the weekend of May 2 and wondered if anyone knows if this is a worthwhile event to attend? We have in the past attended Food and Wine Fests in Ottawa but eventually gave up on them because the crowds were horrendous. If not this event, is there another event in the general area that we should consider going to instead? As far as timing goes, it could be any time this summer, not just that weekend. Thank you.

I would happily head to this - but it's close for me and if I'm not enjoying myself and can easily bugger off home!  Anna and I have done the Icewine festival (as vendors) a couple of time - never again - too damn cold that time of year, but by May it's usually quite nice weather wise in Niagara.  There are lots of other things to do in the area - so I'd probably suggest you go for it.

My wife and I are thinking of going to it for the first time this year.  We are talking about making a weekend of it with friends and staying at  our favourite B&B in the falls.   The vendor list looks pretty great  actually.  Better than some I have been to in Toronto and Hamilton.    Will have to check out  the new  brand name outlet mall in St. Catherines  and a our usually  quick side trip to Jordan Station for  The Upper Canada Cheese company.  ( best ricotta ever) 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

• 3 weeks later...

we did a quick day trip down to NF this afternoon with my sister and bro in law.   Stopped at forty creek distillery in stoney creek  for free whisky sampling, ( the reserve issues are 3$ for 3 samples I believe)  The big bass pro  store is open now next to the skyway and outlets and scoped out the general vicinity of the scotia bank centre in NF  .  Also stopped for wood fired pizza  at Antica in NF just off clifton hill.  great pizza  although the prices have gone up a bit. .    If you like calzones  you can ask them to do one for you  , if they aren't too busy they will, even though it isn't on the menu anymore. 

Captain Jack Sparrow

Noticed how many cars were parked outside the Forty Creek Distillery on my way to work today - knew it was getting closer to spring.  Last time I stopped in I was the only person in there!

• Like 1

The whole area is fantastic to visit any time.  I highly recommend the Pie Plate on Niagara Stone Road in Virgil, just past 40 Mile Creek Rd.  Outstanding pies, baked goods, sandwiches, and unusual but delicious pizza -- loved their cheddar/pear pizza and I tend to be a NY-style pizza purist.  Coffee is good and they have fabulous beer from the brewery across the street, which is also worth a visit. 

ETA, a visit to restaurant Treadwells is also worth the time.  Lunch is a good option if you're on a budget!  They have sadly moved out of their spectacular location on the river and into downtown Niagara-on-the-Lake, but the food is still really good and they do a lovely job featuring delicious local wines. 

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

Kerry. We noticed so many cars when we stopped but the store wasn't busy.  Then all of a sudden the place was packed , they had been on a  tour of the distillery and when it was over the store was crazy .  I did manage to get a taste of the forty creek spiked honey spiced.  It was very nice and if I can think of a way to use it beside sipping straight up I might buy a bottle.  The copper pot is still my fav though , and then the orig, barrel select. 

Sylvia -  I had never heard of The Pie Plate before thanks for the recommendation.   Most times we are down that way we visit Pillitteri winery  just outside of Virgil  , so  I  can stock up on their XXIII dolce bianco. 

Captain Jack Sparrow

The whole area is fantastic to visit any time.  I highly recommend the Pie Plate on Niagara Stone Road in Virgil, just past 40 Mile Creek Rd.  Outstanding pies, baked goods, sandwiches, and unusual but delicious pizza -- loved their cheddar/pear pizza and I tend to be a NY-style pizza purist.  Coffee is good and they have fabulous beer from the brewery across the street, which is also worth a visit. 

ETA, a visit to restaurant Treadwells is also worth the time.  Lunch is a good option if you're on a budget!  They have sadly moved out of their spectacular location on the river and into downtown Niagara-on-the-Lake, but the food is still really good and they do a lovely job featuring delicious local wines. 

I enthusiastically second Treadwell.

Kerry and/or Anna, I'd love to read more from you about the Icewine Festival. Last time I was in NOTL, I did a whirlwind tour of a bunch of wineries, focusing on Riesling icewines and Riesling in general. I took home some Konzelmann, Caroline Cellars, and Tawes (Twenty Mile Bench).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer