• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nu Wave infrared oven

cyalexa

My nephew just gave me a NuWave infrared oven. I searched but didn't find any posts about this product. Anyone have one? I guess I could watch the infomercial on late-nite TV but would prefer to get advice from a trusted resource!

Don't have, but have used one (or similar) in a friend's kitchen.  It's all right, but can be tricky.  In particular, since the heating unit is also the lid, you need some place to set it down while working with whatever is in the bowl.  Of which speaking, it's a wizard way to roast veggies.  A rack under the pan makes it (the pan) easier to get in and out.

I have owned two at different times in my life. Quickly got tired of the amount of counterspace they hog, the difficulty of storing them and their inherent limitations. I do, however, know people who swear by them. My sister in England has one and is always singing its praises for fairly specific things. I know one of them is roast potatoes.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

...In particular, since the heating unit is also the lid, you need some place to set it down while working with whatever is in the bowl...

These are/were sold under a number of different brands. I have one and am happy with the results I've obtained with it. I don't use it that often as that big bowl is a bear to wash because of its size and weight.

Regarding the comment about putting the lid somewhere, my model has a frame with provisision for setting the hot lid vertically along side the unit. Scary at first to use as your afraid the whole thing will tip over but it doesn't. I tried it a few times with a cold lid just to get used to the placement etc.

Personally I wouldn't reccomend it as there are better products out there, albeit for more money like the Breville Smart Oven and Cuisinart Steam Oven

p