• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream Hardening Freezers

David Watts

Hello all:

This year I decided to tackle ice cream alongside my chocolates.  We do a fair amount of business with bought ice cream, but since I've always wanted to make my own, I'm just going to do it.

I am looking for feedback anyone's experience with hardening freezers.  There are the traditional full height freezers (holds 20 - 3 gallon tubs) and then the small units (hold 3 - 3gal tubs). There are the standard hardening freezers that hold a certain temp and then blast freezers that cycle down a program as needed.  

Any comments on what works better? Brands to use or avoid? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

There have been some big advances in technology in recent years in this area. All of the equipment I have experience with is pretty dated now. (a small blast freezer used in conjunction with a larger storage freezer was state of the art when I was in school)  The last time I went to World Pastry Forum in 2011, I saw demonstrations of some pretty amazing freezers with computerized controls and more efficient operation. In some major cities, brands have demonstration kitchens where you can view and try out the equipment. You might ask with your local ACF chapter to see if they know of any such place nearby.

• Like 1