• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ladies' Night at Ali's

Toby

Dinner at Ali's for a number of ladies, including Stellabella, tonight. I'd never eaten there before and was totally charmed. The place is magical and Ali is a brilliant cook.

The menu included a cup of lemon-flavored tripe soup (maybe there were some chickpeas in it), with a crisp flat bread and a little plate of very hot green sauce, a large platter of sweetbreads and mushrooms, a plate of duck gizzards and a plate of chicken gizzards, a bowl of calf foot soup with rice into which we mixed some more of the hot green sauce, a platter of cold lamb heart, spleen and meat from somewhere near the shoulder, a plate of chicken hearts, a plate of chicken livers, and then a large platter of lovely white rice with sumac and a big platter of lamb cheeks, surrounded by lamb tongue and two lamb eyeballs (I didn't eat the eyeballs, being squeamish about viscous fluids, although the lambs' eyeballs' fluid had congealed upon cooking). For dessert we had something like baklava but in a cylindrical roll shape and very moist semolina coconut cake and hibiscus tea with sliced apples in it.

The texture of the sweetbreads was perfect -- I'd never tasted them before; they were very sweet and went perfectly with the dark meaty mushrooms. Ali was very present, doing the cooking and serving, one dish at a time. He seemed to be one of those natural cooks who can make anything taste mouthwateringly delicious.

No matter how many times I go to Ali's, I am always surprised by what he prepares, and delighted. It's never the same twice. It was a pleasure to meet Stellabella.

About the food: the last lamb platter is a dish called abu zalouf, which I believe means head of the sheep. It's all of the meat from the head except the brain, not just the cheeks and tongue. It looks a little like ropa vieja. It's in a sauce, with lots of pieces of meat in it, and the tongue and cheeks are put around the side of the platter, and the eyeballs are is put in the center (although tonight he put them aside because he didn't know who would react in what way to them).

Each plate of meat was spiced differently. I loved the contrasts between the dishes. This guy has a real touch for offal. I really like the eyeballs - the flavor and the texture.

We started with a Riesling, then had 2 bottles of Italian - I brought a Primitivo.

And I love smoking the hookah (actually he calles it "sheesha") with him after dinner. If I could bottle Ali and sell his essence, well - he's really something special.

Edited by La Niña (log)

Sweetbreads and mushrooms. :smile: How were they seasoned?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The sweetbreads were so delicious I asked Ali to marry me, but apparently I'd have to be Second Wife after Nina. :angry:

Jin, they were intensely lemoned, which was a nice contrast with the darkly savory mushroom sauce. No other seasoning jumped out at me but I don't know this cuisine at all.

I rather enjoyed the eyeball. The tripe (yes, Toby, chickpeas) and the calf foot soup were especially wonderful.

The company, as noted, was the best part of a really fun evening.

I am back in Feb.  Perhaps we could have another Birds only night + me.  Just a thought

this seals it for me--I need a sugardaddy.

CathyL not only asked Ali for his hand--she grabbed his hand and led him in a very seductive dance. these women are multi-talented.

Toby described the meal very well. I think I liked the tripe the best, because it was the first time I have ever tasted tripe and been genuinely wow-ed. the tripe itself was soft and delicate, swimming in a dark ungeant gravy with chickpeas. I loved the cold sliced tongue, spleen, lungs with the olive oil and garlic dipping paste.

the eyeball was as tasty as everything else. most of my friends and family can't even hear about it, but one or two have asked what it actually tasted like. it tasted like meat--it was tender and a little fatty, and complex, because it's comprised of different tissues: the optic nerve, the retina, and the iris & inner eye fluid--which congealed upon cooking.

as far as I'm concerned, eating the eyeball is not different from eating the leg muscle--it's all psychological--that said, toby's squeamishness to it was totally appropriate--no one was forced to experience anything unpleasant. and some parts of the beast are truly tastier than others. but what i am learning is that some of the tastiest parts are those which often get discarded.

we didn't get to try brains. so i have to go back.

thanks for arranging that, nina. you are a trip!!!!

Edited by stellabella (log)