• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Secret Shopper" at a Restaurant

MetsFan5

I have recently been asked to do a secret "shopper" review at a New Jersey bakery staple that has multiple restaurant locations.

I am used to identifying service and food issues, without making a face, a scene, or even returning food. I am generally on watch to make sure specials are recited (if not an insert in the menu) with prices. Bottles of wine, should be the vintage year listed, otherwise I anticipate an reasoning to the change, but it still bugs me (as someone who spent hours changing leather bound 2lb wine lists daily at a former job). I also don't like when a server uses the table to open the wine, or, which happens all the time, gives my husband the taste of wine when I am the one ordering it. None of these things permit me from enjoying a meal, they are most likely, minor annoyances I file away, but in this case, I feel it is only fair to give a honest report and the owners and management can take or leave my opinions.

If there are any chefs or restaurant managers or owners out there, I would love to know what feedback you would appreciate. Full disclosure, I am not being paid for this, have a gift certificate for $100 which I imagine we will exceed. It just interests me and lets me enjoy two things I love, eating and writing

I hire secret shoppers 4-6 times per year who do an average of 20 visits in total. I buy them the meal but don't pay them, and ask them to a do a very basic form (obviously very specific to us and our training):

1.     First and foremost did the server bring joy to your table?  This is our single biggest training point.  If yes, what specifically did they do and if not, how would you describe their behavior towards you?  Were you greeted and told goodbye?

2.     Timing: Were you greeted and seated promptly?  Was your order taken promptly?  Food timing is dependent on busy-ness, but once your food arrived did the ticket get brought to you very shortly afterwards (we do this for business lunchers who are in a hurry)?  Was your payment picked up promptly?

3.     Check-ins: Did your server check in with you at least once after your food arrived to make sure everything was to your liking?  Did they handle the check in well – such as “everything ok” versus “how is everything and can I get you anything else?”  Basically, did they act as if they cared about how you were doing and did they take care of your needs?  Did they interrupt your conversation or was the check-in appropriately timed.

4.     Was your water bottle replaced if emptied?

5.     Was the table clean when you were seated?

6.     Was your silverware brought to the table prior to your food?

7.     Did the server use positive language (Thank you, may I) versus negative (Sure, No problem, OK)?

8.     Was dessert described to you when the menu was delivered?

9.     We train our staff to perform in a way that gets a 20% tip.  Did your server provide a level of service that is worthy of more than the standard 15-18%?  Specifically, what did they do or not do to earn that tip?

10.  Final comments that might prove useful in training our staff?

The way I was able to hook up with this opportunity was because I "liked" this chain (small and local) on Facebook and explained I have a degree it Hotel & Restaurant management and works for some major Northern NJ restaurants. It's not through a third party. Although when I think back to my days at working in corporate restaurants, especially Bennigans, I tend to think it should take a minute or less for a server to greet you, another minute for water, five for either cocktails, a glass or bottler wine, etc. when it comes to food delivery time I am a lot more lax. Although I loathe having my appetizer/ salad course cleared and being given my entree in the next 30 seconds. People need to be permitted to digest without controlling their order by holding a menu and not ordering entrees until the first or second course arrives, I hate that.

I have a love/hate relationship with secret shoppers as my company hires them to test all of our outlets.  I am guaranteed one visit per month and its gotten to the point that we pretty much know exactly when they will come and can usually pick put who they are based on some of the standards.  In that respect it is easy to do well; but I feel it is like teaching to the test in our case.  The shopper report was developed to be very measurable and it is very detailed; but to me, any customer service person can say certain words at the proscribed time, it is the intent behind them that is important to me, and much less measurable.

• Like 2

Liz, it's interesting that they effectively give themselves away. I spent 18 months in Daytime Custodial Guest Services (yeah - that's sweeping, emptying trash, etc) and was mystery-guest-shopped several times. They have several things that you are "tested on" but I never once knew that the guests I assisted were mystery shoppers. You may be doing the company a favor if you alert them to the fact that their mystery shoppers are easily identified after a few visits. It is skewing the data they receive.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Liz, it's interesting that they effectively give themselves away. I spent 18 months in Daytime Custodial Guest Services (yeah - that's sweeping, emptying trash, etc) and was mystery-guest-shopped several times. They have several things that you are "tested on" but I never once knew that the guests I assisted were mystery shoppers. You may be doing the company a favor if you alert them to the fact that their mystery shoppers are easily identified after a few visits. It is skewing the data they receive.

The best thing they could do is switch up when the mystery shoppers come in.  It is almost always the first weekend of the month.  Our awareness of the signs definitely increases that weekend.