• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Caesars Pizza-Pizza

Toliver

I performed an eGullet search and was surprised this pizza chain hadn't been discussed before.

Here's a current article on a new menu item:

"Little Caesars to Offer Pizza Wrapped in 3.5 Feet of Bacon"

"With the new Bacon Wrapped Crust DEEP!DEEP! Dish we're pushing pizza to its bacon limits with more than 3.5 feet of bacon wrapped around the crust alone," said Edward Gleich, Senior Vice President of Global marketing, in a release. 

There's a picture accompanying the article.

It's a limited time offer and I believe it costs more than their usual pizza-pizzas. The "deep dish" isn't really deep dish pizza, either. It's square-ish/rectangular (not round) so that there are crunchy "corners" which Little Caesars likes to think their customers appreciate. And now those corners can come wrapped in bacon.

Anyone eager to take one for the team?  :shock:  :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I first moved out to a studio apartment and was going to college and working I would get a Little Caesar's pizza (they were big and cheap) and eat on them for days.  I don't think I could stand to look at another lol.  I haven't tried one for years and years but back then they were not very good.  Rubbery cheese, sweet sweet sauce (and not very much of it) and the pepperonis were few and far between.  Guess that's why it was so cheap lol.

• Like 2

I'm not feeling any bacon-love around here. :cool:  :laugh:

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I too ate a lot of it during my college years and early working years. I don't know if it's changed like everything else (there was a time when Pizza Hut pizza, while not great, was much better than what they serve today) but I didn't mind it at the time. I accepted it for what it was... cheaper than Pizza Hut and Domino's. I can't say that there's been a time when I've thought "Hey, I haven't had Little Caesar's in years! I wish I had one!" but if there was one close to where I live, I might try it again just for fun. I might even be willing to try that bacon wrapped beast just to say I did. However, it's a non-option since it doesn't exist here.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Business Insider (?!) checks out the bacon crust pizza/

The main attraction — the bacon — was well-done and crispy, with a smokey flavor. 

"The bacon around the crust added more flavor than I thought it would and really made the crust worth eating," one reviewer said. "I loved it and it would make the perfect hangover cure."

Others said eating the indulgent product was thrilling. 

" You feel bad eating this pizza. But not bad bad," a tester wrote. "The exhilarating kind of bad."

It's important that you don't treat the "Bacon Wrapped Crust Deep! Deep! Dish" pizza like a normal pie and eat several slices.

Most people said they could not manage more than one slice. Our reviewer who had three slices said he was "deeply upset" with himself.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The "deep dish" isn't really deep dish pizza, either. It's square-ish/rectangular (not round) so that there are crunchy "corners" which Little Caesars likes to think their customers appreciate

It *is* deep dish.  Just not Chicago deep dish.  It's a Detroit thing (although also called a pan pizza back in the day).  It's derived from a Sicilian style.  If you go over to pizzamaking.com and click on their Sicilian Style forum, you'll see that most posts are about Detroit style pizza - if not specific Detroit pizza joints.  And many of the threads focus on how to get that crispy - almost fried - crust.  In fact, they used to feature something called a Baby Pan Pizza.  These were baked four slices at a time in a square pan with a special cross-shaped separator that deliver that crispiness to all four sides of the slice. (I actually own a couple authentic examples of these)

I actually like their deep dish pizza (others disagree), but they do seem to have a continuing consistency problem.  Their $5 large (American style) pizzas, while a convenient bargain, are a disaster.  And they've also taken to really weird concepts like pretzel pizzas, and now this bacon thing (after the bacon fad had pretty much jumped the shark).

Detroit style pizza actually started making waves in the news a couple of years ago and are even featured in this year's SXSW (see VIA 313 - Detroit's area code).  This might've been helped long by another chain called Jet's which offers a eight-corner pizza - actually, two four-slice rectangular pizzas put in a box side-by-side.  Little Caesar's current deep dish offering seems to be a response to this.

Please don't be dissin' regional pizza styles based on a franchise chain.  It's a Detroit thing.  Go there.  Or if not there, the Sicilian Style forum on pizzamaking.com.

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 1

It *is* deep dish.  Just not Chicago deep dish....

A more accurate description of LIttle Caesar's deep dish pizza would be "deep crust" pizza. I'm not knocking it...I'm just sayin'...

Regarding your comment:

And they've also taken to really weird concepts like pretzel pizzas, and now this bacon thing (after the bacon fad had pretty much jumped the shark).

Thanks to this, I'm now jonesing for some bacon-wrapped shark.

"Mmm...bacon-wrapped shark"[/Homer Simpson]  :wink:

Tim Oliver

From the link in Toliver's original post:

"With the new Bacon Wrapped Crust DEEP!DEEP! Dish we're pushing pizza to its bacon limits with more than 3.5 feet of bacon wrapped around the crust alone," said Edward Gleich, Senior Vice President of Global marketing, in a release.

LC's TV ads also stress "More than three and a half feet!"

My first thought was, "Wow! Mega-bacon!" My second thought was, "Wait. How much is that, actually?" So I did some mental math.

3.5' = 42", so "more than 3.5 feet" probably is somewhere between 42.5 and 47.5" -- otherwise they would have said "four feet." There are eight pieces of pizza to an order, and it looks like two sides of each piece are bacon-wrapped, so that's 16 sides, meaning there'd be less than 3" of bacon per side. That doesn't sound right. Maybe the "3.5 feet" refers to each of the two four-slice pies. But that wouldn't make sense, either, as the ads would then tout "more than 7 feet of bacon!" Or would they? "Seven feet" does sound like an obscene amount of bacon, at least in this context, which might turn off the average consumer -- although it's actually only 10-11 regular slices (assuming 8" per slice, which is what the bacon we have at home measures).

Yeah, I'm overthinking this.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna say my dad and I used to go when I was in middle school when one opened up a couple miles from us. My mom said it tasted like cardboard and refused to eat it. I remember liking it okay, as well as being intrigued by the one-way mirror they had on the door to their kitchen. Place went out of business eventually and I think all or most of them in my hometown shuttered. Haven't had Little Caesar's in years and likely wouldn't eat it today given that there are usually better, local options available. Though this thread kinda makes me want to try a slice.

Edited by Fernet-Bronco (log)