• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy New Year....Chinese New Year

gulfporter

Lamb tends to be only eaten by Muslims in China since they're forbidden from eating pork. The best lamb dishes in China come from the Xinjiang region. Unfortunately, there's currently no English language Xinjiang cookbook right now. Probably the closest is Beyond the Great Wall.

The Mala Project has an excellent Cumin Lamb they put up in celebration of the new year though. Other great Chinese lamb dishes include Yang Rou Chuan, Chinese lamb skewers with cumin and chilli and thinly shaved slices of lamb for Sichuan style hotpot.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

Lamb is quite popular in my Hakka Cantonese family. Braised lamb brisket with shiitake and beancurd sheets is a favourite.

For new year, seeing that it's the year of the sheep, I'll be making lamb dumplings!

• Like 1

Hello- The Mongols ,who ate a lot of mutton, briefly ruled China. So you might be interested in some

Mongolian recipes. See....

http://www.mongolfood.info/en/recipes/meat-dishes.html

While these recipes may be impossible to do technically, or may sound unappetizing, they may give you some ideas for Westernized versions.

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Lamb is quite popular in my Hakka Cantonese family. Braised lamb brisket with shiitake and beancurd sheets is a favourite.

For new year, seeing that it's the year of the sheep, I'll be making lamb dumplings!

Dumplings are a wonderful suggestion! I have done goat dumplings.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Lamb tends to be only eaten by Muslims in China

While it is true that Muslims in north-western China eat more lamb and mutton, it is also eaten elsewhere. I am thousands of miles away from Xinjiang as you get, but the city is full of 羊肉面 (mutton or lamb noodle) restaurants. Every supermarket and market sells the meat. The 羊肉串 (lamb kebabs) mentioned are available everywhere.

A favourite in Xi'an is "Yang Rou Pao Mo 羊肉泡馍", a lamb stew with bread and noodles. Recipe here.

Also the Rou Jia Mo 肉夹馍 in this thread can also be made with lamb.

Here is a simple lamb stir fry from Hunan which is similar to dishes I ate when I lived there 18 years ago.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Mongolian hotpot is also very popular all over China, especially at this time of year. It was spread largely through the Little (Fat) Sheep* chain, which was originally Mongolian but is now 100% owned by Yum! Foods, owners of KFC, Pizza Hut etc.

Most popular is the yin-yang style hot pot, where a pan with a divider separates a plain and a spicy broth. Diners dip food into the broth of their choice and cook it. Various vegetables, frozen tofu etc., but the favourite is frozen rolls of paper-thin lamb slices. The boiling stock defrosts and cooks them in seconds.

The frozen sliced lamb is also available in most supermarkets under the Little Sheep brand and other copies.

I know the chain is expanding in the USA. Do they also sell the frozen meat through supermarkets for home consumption?

*The Chinese name 小肥羊xiǎo féi yáng means 'little fat sheep'.They dropped the 'fat' in international markets.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have goat defrosting at this very moment!