• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Safe Substitutes for Cocktail Ingredients that are Terrible Ideas

CatPoet

I been asked to help make an American friend's favourite drinks  for a surprise party and two of them contain nyquil.

To me it  sounds mad and dangerous  to add nyquil to drinks  so my question is, what can I use instead?

It ask for  original flavour and  cherry flavour in the recipes, so what can I use?

And no, I never had nyquil, it isnt legal to sell here.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Nyquil is syrupy and tastes like licorice and medicine... something like sambuca is a close replacement.  But if your friend likes the drinks with the medicine in them, he's probably not drinking them for the alcoholic buzz... but something else. Perhaps the answer would be to make a tasty drink without the medicine, and let him know the pharmacy sells codeine-based cough syrup.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Campari bitter and bubble gum cherry flavour apparently taste  nyquil ish, a friend who has had nyquil tested this. So thanks for the campari hint.   

Let see if we  try the sambuca line later, adding a bit campari bitter.   Thank God I am not tasting this.

It is a she and she is brought up  flavourings more then the real deal, she prefer butter flavouring over butter  in cakes for example.

Yes, it sound  right out  dangerous and frat house in  my world too.  The reason you cant get nyquil here is because of the mixture of cough suppressant and antihistamine, we believe in coughing up the infected phlegm, not keeping it in out lungs.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Well  the testers has now manage drinks to taste like cherry nyquil,   Finnish  cough meds from the 80.ties and a orginal Nyquil- ish and  also  child pain killer form the 90:ties. 

I think we have  the flavours she loves.   Yes I am making a cake with butter flavouring and Crisco.. ugh... but  what dont you do  to make some one feel at home?

Thank for the  campari bitter and sambuca idea, that really helped.  They used  cheap  absinthe, sambuca, campari  bitter and  a candy called Kungen av Danmark  to get the flavour of nyquil.

• Like 1

I am not posting the recipe of the drinks because I think it is dangerous. But thanks to you all we now have a safer substitute.