• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelatin or xanthan gum for ramen soup?

torolover

I've compared chicken breast stock, chicken thigh stock, chicken wing stock, and chicken feet stock.  I only use chicken and water for the stock.  I added a little salt to each stock to get a better taste.

Chicken breast stock tasted the best.  That's why I don't want to use chicken wings or chicken feet.

I will try the xanthan gum today and report results.

Thanks!

To Date:

This is my basic go to chicken stock--  Homemade from a combination of a roasted chicken carcass and a whole chicken ( all organic )

Simmer 1 hr-- remove the whole chxn, cool  to handle and take breast meat off and thigh..I check the temps of my proteins so breast is 155 and thighs slightly higher.. cool/ and use that meat  for other applications.

Return and simmer 4-6 hrs/ cool / defat the next day/

Then reduce that by half and place in quart containers.. best chxn flavor/ fairly clear and great mouth feel

From this I can make -  ( I know its not pork or beef based Ramen or Pho )  /  but you were using chicken.. really flavorful  stuff.  A bit off topic.  but other ideas

Cheers Doc

IMG_7847.JPG

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels