• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ambai Pans

JoNorvelleWalker

Amazon.com carries the lid.

Edited to to add and the pot.

Edited Again to add

Oh wait. They are being shipped from Japan. Sorry.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Let me ask another question:  has anyone dealt with Rakuten Global Market?  They have what I'm looking for but the site is rather confusing to me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Here's one but not seeing a lid.

Thanks, Kerry.  Korin does not carry Ambai and their yukihira is aluminum.  I no longer do aluminum as a cooking surface.

Thanks, Kerry.  Korin does not carry Ambai and their yukihira is aluminum.  I no longer do aluminum as a cooking surface.

I'm with you on the aluminum.  So is Ambai a brand you are looking for?

I'm with you on the aluminum.  So is Ambai a brand you are looking for?

Yes, the Ambai design is by Koizumi Makoto.  His stuff turns me on.

As far as functionality I'm looking for otoshibuta for doing Japanese braises.  For the Japanese braises I've done, I've used parchment but parchment is not the same.  It doesn't weight the food down.

And for some reason I never have enough small pots.

I bought something once from Rakuten - was a colossal pain in the ass as I recall.  

Sorry to hear.  Rakuten has a lot of interesting cooking things.  Koizumi Makoto sells direct, but his studio does not have ordering on the web.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought stuff from Rakuten recently. Hasn't been a problem, though I'd imagine that it might depend on the individual seller that you ultimately deal with.

But all of the purchases have just been click-->wait for merchant to make offer on shipping-->approve/deny--> get stuff pretty quickly. Japan Post EMS is pretty magical.  

I have used Rakuten along with Tenso freight forwarding, to buy a grade of Japanese blackboard chalk that far exceeds the quality of any western chalk. Tenso gives you an address in Japan, and they forward anything arriving at that address to you. You provide the Japanese address to the Rakuten merchant.

The challenge is manageable, though more on the order of doing one's taxes (or swapping a hard drive in an iMac) than one-clicking Amazon Prime (or swapping memory in an early MacBook).

I recommend calling your credit card company in advance, because it is quite reasonable for them to reject as fraudulent a charge for a product only shipped within Japan, if you're not in Japan.

In my case, 2/3rds of the expense was shipping, but I still saved money over buying from a (then rare) US source.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/help/service/forwarding.html

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

• 2 weeks later...

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I've seen these pots at Cost Plus World Market.  May be worth a look?

Thanks.  I had never heard of Cost Plus World Market, but I checked their website.  No Ambai pans that I could find, unfortunately, unless possibly they are only sold in stores.  The closest thing I saw was an aluminum hammered Asian noodle pot:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/hammered-asian-noodle-pot.do?&from=fn

Jo,

I am guessing you are completely committed to Ambai and not to just obtaining a stainless steel yukihira?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Jo,

I am guessing you are completely committed to Ambai and not to just obtaining a stainless steel yukihira?

True, although I'd love to have a look if you have found one.

True, although I'd love to have a look if you have found one.

Have a look at this

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Well it is not an Ambai but for $25 (shipping included) it is a beautiful stainless steel yukihira!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...