• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White themed chocolates

gfron1

I've been working on a concept since I never make white chocolate shelled bonbons. I already have a "Black Series" that features single malts, but now I want to make a "White series" where all of the shells are bright white with maybe a toothpick dot of color to signify the filling. And who better to have fun with ideas the you all.

Here are some candidates so far. You'll see some of these haven't been teased out at all.

-Doritos and Cuervo

-"Black as night" black cocoa and black pepper

-something about salt that's not salted caramel

-Coconut - needs a twist

-Powdered donuts

-Vanilla ice cream

-PBJ on white bread

-Rice

-Sourdough and brie

For the coconut, how about a sweet curry with dried fruit chunks?

Ever had potato candy? That could be a springboard to something else, or add jelly and make the PB&J this way.

What about apple pie with green chile?

Piñon brittle? Piñon butter ganache?

sweet tamale?

salted plum?

BTW, having eaten a whole bunch of white chocolate (filled with raspberry jam) recently...the salty element sounds awesome

How about thai peanut (ie sate)? could be worked in with the coconut

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Salted licorice is common here with white chocolate. 

Pineapple and  coconut  chocolate used to be my favourite as young  but as adult I found this amazing coconut and rum truffle.

Another thing I love is roasted oatmeal flour, the taste is warm and toasty and works with caramel.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

White chocolate with tart citrus or tropical fruits would be nice (calomandin, yuzu, passion fruit, carambola, kumquat, grapefruit). Riffing on grapefruit, grapefruit &Campari in white chocolate might work really well.

Some other thoughts:

- lemon curd

- lemongrass & Thai flavors

- key lime pie type filling

- tapioca pearls, mango, pineapple

- salty peanut or cashew gianduja

- lime, coconut, and rum

- IPA ganache

- rhubarb

Have fun with your new collection.

For the coconut, how about a sweet curry with dried fruit chunks?

That would probably be tasty. I made a Thai curry sweet potato ice cream that I fully expected to find disgusting and it was surprisingly good so I can see the sweet curry thing working with coconut in a chocolate.

I've been meaning to play around with a raspberry lambic ganache. I think it would work well in white chocolate but haven't actually tried it. It was one of the flavors I had planned for my experiments with using cocoa butter as a ganache base to greatly reduce/eliminate the chocolate impact without losing the ganache texture. I already did a few experiments with veggie flavored cocoa butter ganaches but hadn't reached a point where I was completely happy with them. I keep telling myself I need to get back to it... but it'd be a bit costly for retail chocolates use.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What about popcorn (salted of course) or something with red bean paste?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I've been working on a concept since I never make white chocolate shelled bonbons. I already have a "Black Series" that features single malts, but now I want to make a "White series" where all of the shells are bright white with maybe a toothpick dot of color to signify the filling. And who better to have fun with ideas the you all.

Here are some candidates so far. You'll see some of these haven't been teased out at all.

-Doritos and Cuervo

-"Black as night" black cocoa and black pepper

-something about salt that's not salted caramel

-Coconut - needs a twist

-Powdered donuts

-Vanilla ice cream

-PBJ on white bread

-Rice

-Sourdough and brie

Do you have a theme in mind (other than the white)?  It seems the donut, doritos and ice cream are kind of thematic, and then the rice, cocoa and sourdough&brie could be another. 

Seems like everybody's veering off towards a savoury angle.  While this is a trendy approach, it might be worth looking at fillings which are associated with sweet foods and drinks:

- Pina Colada

- Rice pudding

- Milkshake

- Banana

- Marshmallow/nougat

- Lemon meringue

- Milk

- Lychee

- Mint Imperial

- Candyfloss

And more.

• Like 1

Seems like everybody's veering off towards a savoury angle.  While this is a trendy approach, it might be worth looking at fillings which are associated with sweet foods and drinks:

- Pina Colada

- Rice pudding

- Milkshake

- Banana

- Marshmallow/nougat

- Lemon meringue

- Milk

- Lychee

- Mint Imperial

- Candyfloss

And more.

Good catch!  I completely forgot about my own Mojito piece.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Good catch!  I completely forgot about my own Mojito piece.

Drinks could work as a theme- if single malts were the black collection, there are plenty of choices to use for white.

If you could bear to cook with it, a Champagne white chocolate ganache could work well.

• Like 2

I'd be all over the buttered popcorn one. 

And, if you're going towards something savory, with sort of fun spin---gosh I hate to even throw it out there as it almost sounds awful...but what about Funions? (I like Doritos and all....but Funions---simply divine with an A&W.)

Speaking of....Root Beer Float maybe?

I've done a white one with Twinkies before, as well as Oreos. The Oreo were especially popular.

Strawberry Shortcake, maybe?

Apple Pie could work.  I used Shott's recipe, added some cinnamon, and left off the nuts. (If you did a two layer, with the apple pie, the second layer could be a vanilla ice cream flavor.)

Just a few ideas..... 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Drinks could work as a theme- if single malts were the black collection, there are plenty of choices to use for white.

If you could bear to cook with it, a Champagne white chocolate ganache could work well.

I like the idea of a cocktail theme - a variety of different cocktail flavours in white chocolate.  A negroni, campari and grapefruit, marguerita...

• Like 2

I also make a champagne truffle based upon a recipe published in one of Wybauw's books.  It uses Marc de Champagne so it doesn't require cooking down a bottle.  It's a piped ganache so it's suitable for any molded piece.  Being made with a mixture of milk/dark chocolate, it looks stunning inside a white shell.

• Like 2

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

There have been some great ideas in this thread.  I especially like the "cocktail collection."

My idea is not as exciting as many others, but you could do a "fruit collection":  strawberry, raspberry, apricot, lemon, lime, orange, passion fruit, yuzu, banana, pineapple, cherry, cranberry, mango, rhubarb, kalamansi, and (my current favorite) black currant. 

these all sound fantastic...and if anyone can bring them to life, i know Gfron can :)  curious about another savory idea of a basil parm ganache?  i've used basil olive oil in ganaches beautifully and that could be fun in white...especially with some salt crystals hanging out in the shell?  you could even try flavoring cream with a parm rind? anywho- other ideas for white...um....maybe a peach- lime-gingerbeer concoction? i loved the idea of the thai-lemongrass idea, that sounds divine, even incorporating coconut milk/cream?  how about a tomato jam truffle? i love that stuff :)  or i know its totally an overdone trend, but sriracha sauce with white would be good to cool off that hot sauce... and i love peppercorns.  so white with some super heavy duty peppercorns and a sweeter flavored infused salt from saltworks for a salt n' peppa truffle? 

• Like 1

You guys lit the fire under me by mentioning the cocktail thing. I've been mulling around the idea of a Fuzzy Navel truffle since November.  (It sounds so silly!) Several of the components have been sitting on my counter for about 4 weeks now. Its time to go make it happen. :wink: thanks!!!!

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I tried a rosewater pink peppercorn truffle a million years ago it seems and it might work in this white collection idea.  I'm with a lot of others though with the cocktail theme, I know Moscow Mules are making their resurgence at least up in the PNW, and you could decorate it with copper cb since they are said to taste better in a copper cup.  

I'll be interested in what you come up with Rob.  Good luck with your 5K chocolate making project.

• 3 weeks later...