• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit flavored creme anglaise

ccp900

Hi all. I've been trying to search the Internet for fruit flavored creme anglaise using jams rather than steeping.

Haven't really found something definite but are there downsides to mixing completed creme anglaise with let's say guava jam to make guava flavored dipping sauce? Or in that case any other jam?

You have to watch out for protease content, guava happens to be one of the problematic fruits.

If it's a non-protease containing fruit, say, raspberries, jam wouldn't hurt anything, but, you'll change the texture and probably make it thicker.

You have to watch out for protease content, guava happens to be one of the problematic fruits.

If it's a non-protease containing fruit, say, raspberries, jam wouldn't hurt anything, but, you'll change the texture and probably make it thicker.

If cooking destroys it, then guava jam should not be a problem

Thanks for the further replies. Jmacnaughtan, if I replace the milk with just juice would there be an ideal percenTage for milk vs juice?

It depends on the fruit, but I'd just normally do a straight swap.  Replace all the milk with the same weight of juice.  Some (for example lemon juice) will thicken up a bit more, some a bit less, so you'd need to play around with it.

The pectin in the jam is going to interfere with the texture. If you want that same jammy note in the cream, I'd try making syrups instead. Take whatever sugar is in your creme anglaise recipe and toss it with cut up chunks of fruit and let it sit for at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight. If you want a fresh fruit flavor, strain and add to the anglaise. If you want a cooked fruit flavor, cook briefly, then strain and add.

PS: I am a guy.

Thanks again guys! So helpful!

I'm a beginner and there are no good foundational schools here for pastry making that isn't like 2 years straight. Not very inclusive of people who need to work.

Edited by ccp900 (log)