• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recreating Private Selection Sweet Cinnamon Spice Tea

GRoston

My wife is a huge fan of Kroger's Private Slection Sweet Cinnamon Spice Tea, see http://www.privateselection.com/artisan-products/gourmet-beverages/teas/sweet-cinnamon-spice-tea-caffeine-free/. The label indicates that the tea comprises cinnamon, ginger root, rosehip, organge peel, and peppermint. Would any of you be able to share a more detailed recipe for this blend?

Thx.

Even a complete recipe is not going to help you recreate the exact flavor of the commercial product.  You're just not going to know or have access to the exact grade and type of the ingredients.  There are many different grades and origins of cinnamon out there, and there are dozens of different types of oranges the peel might have come from.  It's not likely that the components that went into the commercial product are even available to you at a retail level.  Don't try for an exact reproduction... you've got a good starting point... Go get blending and see if you can make something tastier than the original. 

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I keep a group of ingredients for herbal teas on hand for when I don't want C sinensis.  I read labels when I enjoy an herbal tea blend, and try to add the ingredients to my collection, and when I want some herbal tea, I mix and match from what I have on hand.  The ingredient list you share is full of good things that are not hard to find, and work well in varying proportions.  I think cdh is spot on when suggesting not trying to exactly duplicate the commercial blend, but having fun with that combination as your starting point. 

• 1 month later...