• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long-lasting chocolate caviar

Nut chef

Buy a bag of Valrhona crispy pearls :)

I have kept agar caviar up to a week.  It does weep a little bit and is solid throughout unlike those made with calcium chloride and sodium alginate.  Here is a ratio I've used before:

Cocoa Caviar                                        

cocoa 25 g      

sugar 65 g      

agar agar 1 tsp      

water 200 g                    

canola oil as needed                    

Chill 1" canola oil in a shallow pan at least 30 minutes before beginning.            

Combine cocoa, sugar, and agar agar powder in a small saucepan.  Whisk in water.            

Bring to a simmer, whisking.  Simmer briefly and remove from heat.  Let cool slightly, then drip through a squeeze bottle into the chilled oil.              

Strain the caviar and rinse under cool water.  Keep chilled.              

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

Yeah, a week or so is asking a lot. I've never done chocolate but I once (back when I had actual ambition :biggrin: ) stored some made with raspberry puree, part done with agar, part done with regular spherification and part done with reverse spherification, just for the purpose of seeing how long they'd hold up and which held best. The agar version did best but still lost a fair amount of liquid over a few days. None of them came close to going a week without significant syneresis problems. I agree with pastrygirl that agar is probably your best option if storage time is essential but at a week or more there's going to be a definite "usable" vs. "optimal" dividing line.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.