• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another player enters the sous vide field: Paragon Induction Cooktop

MSRadell

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Great news!  My ancient set of 1970's Wonder Ware* works perfectly on the Paragon.

*Multi-plex, Made in America Stainless Steel

And the funny little thermometer probe on the Paragon would fit over their lip. 

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Great news!  My ancient set of 1970's Wonder Ware* works perfectly on the Paragon.

*Multi-plex, Made in America Stainless Steel

On a similar note, I'll add that the elderly SaladMaster pots I got from my uncle (purchased by his wife when she was in med school, 50 years ago, and still immaculate) work just fine on induction.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

And the funny little thermometer probe on the Paragon would fit over their lip. 

Indeed.  I never thought to try the Wonder Wear because I assumed they would not work.  So far all my pots and pans* are good on the Paragon except for Cuisinart and Falk.  And one old aluminum All-Clad LTD bain-marie that I use for rice pudding once a year.

Unfortunately I have a lot of Cuisinart and Falk.  But on the bright side Falk just announced their new induction compatible product line.

*including my Makoto Koizumi rosewood handled yukihira pot.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Has anyone used the silicon mat that comes with the Paragon yet?   If so, what did you cook?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/150644-another-player-enters-the-sous-vide-field-paragon-induction-cooktop/?do=findComment&comment=2216421

Also for braising and for making tomato sauce.  The mat works really well.

This pot arrived today.  4.4 qts and induction compatible.  Sold as a steamer but I am going to try it as a small fry pot with the Paragon.  The basket seems perfect for frying.  It was just $25.99 and by Cook N Home.

pot-for-paragon.jpg.52d6166df65460bb9201ddc7b4fd7c33.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 hours ago, mgaretz said:

This pot arrived today.  4.4 qts and induction compatible.  Sold as a steamer but I am going to try it as a small fry pot with the Paragon.  The basket seems perfect for frying.  It was just $25.99 and by Cook N Home.

pot-for-paragon.jpg.52d6166df65460bb9201ddc7b4fd7c33.jpg

Very nice, and if you have an immersion circulator/bath setup you can put small jars (SV egg bites, custard), etc in the mesh basket for easy in-and-out.

• Like 2

Finally pulled out my Paragon.  I've been using this recipe for homemade whole milk ricotta-like cheese.  Holding the temp @ ~ 185°F for 20 min after adding the acid does seem to improve the yield but was fiddly for me to do without overshooting, which resulted in a dry and less creamy cheese.  What a pleasure it was to just set the temp, add the acid when it beeped and then let it go!  Nice yield and perfect texture!

I'd planned to keep this thing out in the garage but I think I may want it close by!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'd planned to keep this thing out in the garage but I think I may want it close by!

Nothing says you can't have two.  Or three.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, mgaretz said:

Oh, brilliant! You're reminding me I have this Kuhn-Rikon "fourth burner" pot that would work similarly. Though I like your mesh basket better.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, lemniscate said:

Has anyone used the silicon mat that comes with the Paragon yet?   If so, what did you cook?

I'm really hoping I can use it to "dial in" perfect settings for a stovetop pressure cooker. Being able to brown at high heat and then ignore it like an Instant Pot is a bit of a holy grail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

Oh, brilliant! You're reminding me I have this Kuhn-Rikon "fourth burner" pot that would work similarly. Though I like your mesh basket better.

That was one of the ones I considered, but like you said, the basket on this one is better for the job and it was less expensive. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, dtremit said:

The link goes to a Sur La Table pot "Made in China exclusively for Sur La Tab".  No mention of Kuhn-Rikon?  The bottom is aluminum.  Have you tried the pot with the Paragon?

I would like to find a similarly proportioned frying basket that would fit my Fissler.  For frying chicken, tongs work great; for French fries not so much.

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The link goes to a Sur La Table pot "Made in China exclusively for Sur La Tab".  No mention of Kuhn-Rikon?  The bottom is aluminum.  Have you tried the pot with the Paragon?

I would like to find a similarly proportioned frying basket that would fit my Fissler.  For frying chicken, tongs work great; for French fries not so much.

I ordered this pot, the Cook N Home one that @mgaretz pictured above.  It was $25 when I ordered yesterday, $35 now.  The description says it's induction compatible.

When I searched for the above pot, this Khun-Rikon pot which looks very similar to the Sur La Table pot also came up.  The description indicates that it works for induction and users confirm this in comments and reviews. I liked the idea of the pour spout on that one but I went for the cheaper and slightly larger one. 

Wanting to use my Paragon to caramelize a bunch of onions. Anyone know a suggestion on temp? I'll be using some of these immediately, and packaging and freezing others. I just want light-to-medium caramelization, so the onions still have some structural integrity.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I just put in an order for one from RC Willey (thank you for the lead on that great price).  
I used to have a Tatung single burner induction unit that I picked up for about $100.  I let my sister borrow it a few years ago and let her keep it when I moved out of state.  I've been thinking about picking up another one for some time now, but was waiting for the right price.  At $70 - it's definitely the right price.  With the added temperature control feature, I couldn't pass up the deal.  It should make deep frying (which is what I used the old Tatung most often for) much easier.  

• Like 2