• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another player enters the sous vide field: Paragon Induction Cooktop

MSRadell

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

"  Trader Joe’s cave-aged blue cheese"

any more info on this ?

just asking :  do cartelized onions re-heat well enough ?

why not do a large pan-full in the oven at the proper no-watch temp ?

I did French Onion Soup this way , way way back a la JuliaChild 

worked well I recall.

remember when FOS was all the rage ?

back then.

From Bon Appétit:

“The blues show surprisingly well at TJ’s. Cave Aged Blue, made from raw milk, is one of my favorite cheeses available at the store, with fruity concord grape and fresh fig notes, and a dense, creamy paste.”

I didn’t have anywhere near enough onions to caramelize more than a couple!  They reheat just fine any which way. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21C75DA8-7B55-427E-9C87-58590F991470.thumb.jpeg.14cd554a7168b4b9aed2c39ea5b76eb2.jpeg

For scrambled eggs like these I might be willing to forgive the Paragon many of its foibles. 95°C/~200°F 2-3 minutes. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thank you   I found it 

trader-joes-blue-cheese-today-170718-inline_copy_6a6f5db7e55f2ec6fb8f404c8bfae4f6.fit-560w.jpg.80536bad35949ed78b33cee2ba9592db.jpg

this one ?

Yes. 

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I agree with @patris on the app.  There are a few more items than what’s on the little card but not much. And as far as using it to time a cook, I can tell Alexa to shut up faster than fiddling with my phone.

So my son is visiting and no matter what he does he can’t seem to connect it to the iPhone although he can connect it to the iPad. Anybody any comments on this?

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So my son is visiting and no matter what he does he can’t seem to connect it to the iPhone although he can connect it to the iPad. Anybody any comments on this?

We solved it. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

"  Trader Joe’s cave-aged blue cheese"

any more info on this ?

just asking :  do cartelized onions re-heat well enough ?

why not do a large pan-full in the oven at the proper no-watch temp ?

I did French Onion Soup this way , way way back a la JuliaChild 

worked well I recall.

remember when FOS was all the rage ?

back then.

I used to slice enough onions to fill my crock-pot to the brim , add butter, and cook on low overnight until well up in the next day for perfect caramelized onions. Granted, about 2 a.m. the house would smell VERY onion-y. I'd freeze the onions in plastic baggies in half-cup portions. Handy things to have.

As my daughter is very smell-sensative, I don't do that any more. It's occurred to me to take either the Paragon or the IP out on the back porch and do it there.

That would be if I could get the Paragon to work. So far, I have not been successful, but to be honest, I only tried it once and I suspect the sensor needed charging, as I could never get so much as a light out of it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

That would be if I could get the Paragon to work. So far, I have not been successful, but to be honest, I only tried it once and I suspect the sensor needed charging, as I could never get so much as a light out of it.

The unit gets a fail on documentation. My son and I must’ve spent over an hour trying to get it to recognize my iPhone. It wasn’t enough to just turn on the Bluetooth in the settings. We had to scroll down in settings to the app and turn on Bluetooth there as well but there was nothing to tell us that anywhere.

I certainly found nowhere that instructed me to charge the sensor before attempting to use it or to just simply plug it in and use it that way.

The app is sad. Very sad. It doesn’t appear that anyone is making any attempt to improve it. I wonder if the whole instrument has been abandoned by the manufacturers. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That appears to be the case.  The product itself is not to be found on their website, although it's possible to search and locate a few videos and announcements of the Indiegogo launch.

Then my chances of getting a replacement sensor don’t seem very good. They certainly have not answered an email sent many days ago. Damn. 

• Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

21C75DA8-7B55-427E-9C87-58590F991470.thumb.jpeg.14cd554a7168b4b9aed2c39ea5b76eb2.jpeg

For scrambled eggs like these I might be willing to forgive the Paragon many of its foibles. 95°C/~200°F 2-3 minutes. 

Mat?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mat?

Yup. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 1/3/2020 at 5:31 PM, Anna N said:

Now I have another question. Has anyone found any value in the app for this product?

I pretty much only use it to check the probe battery level.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I did not know it could do that!

I am not arguing at all but I still haven’t figured out how to do that!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My FirstBuild app always opens on the ‘Feed’ screen, but then I tap ‘Products’ and get the Paragon listed w/battery level. See attached screenshots.

Edit: you’ll want both the base induction unit and BT probe turned on for this to work.

4BB1F11C-8EAD-4CBA-889D-FCE78EC28194.jpeg

8A5C0EBF-7CF7-4CFB-9DDF-BF0CC2A16D98.jpeg

Edited by Vapre
Clarity (log)
  • Thanks 3

@Anna N 

Im very much with you

on the Egg sur le palte

so may options !!

the fried egg  that were truly fried 

ie very crispy edges ,  yolk to die for  ..

but Scrambled  , w butter  , that turn out so

creamy and buttery ?

nice   as nice as it gets

ExP  the true Fried Eggs

they complete , don't they ?

then there is the Water Poached Egg

a little firm on the edges  , but hot an creamy in the center ?

2 hours ago, Vapre said:

My FirstBuild app always opens on the ‘Feed’ screen, but then I tap ‘Products’ and get the Paragon listed w/battery level. See attached screenshots.

Edit: you’ll want both the base induction unit and BT probe turned on for this to work.

4BB1F11C-8EAD-4CBA-889D-FCE78EC28194.jpeg

8A5C0EBF-7CF7-4CFB-9DDF-BF0CC2A16D98.jpeg

Thanks, worked for me.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:08 AM, Anna N said:

Oh man, I gotta try those. 

I know the  Paragon isn’t perfect, but precision induction is part of the future of cooking.

• Like 1

While other people are asking how large of a pan can you put on this hob, I am impressed that it deals easily with this tiny pan. None of the other induction hobs that I have owned nor even my induction range have worked well with this pan. The Paragon didn’t even blink. 71B3F452-5230-4A75-A128-3354150C663A.thumb.jpeg.14ff5c1473067e34e8c7daa698fd7a5a.jpeg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

While other people are asking how large of a pan can you put on this hob, I am impressed that it deals easily with this tiny pan. None of the other induction hobs that I have owned nor even my induction range have worked well with this pan. The Paragon didn’t even blink. 71B3F452-5230-4A75-A128-3354150C663A.thumb.jpeg.14ff5c1473067e34e8c7daa698fd7a5a.jpeg

I had an opposite problem.  My small WonderWare pans work fine.  Tonight I found my WonderWare 91/2 inch sautee pan does not.

The Paragon is now down to $59.97 at RC Willey. It's looking more tempting...even though I wouldn't be able to play with it for a few months.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

49 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The Paragon is now down to $59.97 at RC Willey. It's looking more tempting...even though I wouldn't be able to play with it for a few months.

Do I really need four??

• Haha 3