• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another player enters the sous vide field: Paragon Induction Cooktop

MSRadell

If a pot that is magnetic on the sides as well as the base is put on an induction burner, will the sides get hot as well as the bottom? If so, will they get as hot as the base, or will the magnetic field be weaker going up the sides?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/13/2019 at 12:53 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Corn on the cob is almost impossible to cook sous vide.  The bags swell up and float.

I use this cooking rack turned sideways to hold and separate multiple bags. It's from SousVide Supreme https://sousvidesupreme.com/products/sousvide-supreme-universal-pouch-rack measures 6.5" x 6.5" x 6.5"
image.png.5a676fc73df0dd14f32cb87dc00c0529.png

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that it's large enough to hold many sizes of corn on the cob. Need to use something else to hold down a 3 lb roast.
Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

If a pot that is magnetic on the sides as well as the base is put on an induction burner, will the sides get hot as well as the bottom? If so, will they get as hot as the base, or will the magnetic field be weaker going up the sides?

No, basically the bottom only.  Magnetic field decreases by the square of the distance.

• Thanks 1

Mine arrived today. Have not tried it yet. If you've ordered one, be sure you get the sensor and charger cord out of the box. They're not readily apparent. I had to go out in the garage and retrieve mine.  

Hope to try it out tomorrow.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Mine arrived yesterday. Haven’t had much time to play with and to tell the truth I’m not sure what I am going to do with it. But at $69 it was too good of a deal to pass up. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I tried a couple of things last night.  First, I thought it might be a great way to gently reheat food without bagging.  I put a couple of leftover brisket slices and a potato wedge in a pan and set it for 155F.  It seemed to be working but slowly, so I covered the pan and that sped it up, but the potato was still not hot enough, so I moved it to the air fryer for five minutes.  I think a higher temp, maybe 170F might be better and faster.  I flipped the meat at some point and I think the time was about 30 minutes.

paragon-reheat.jpg.2b282cbb0bab1b3e26eb59bd0754d89f.jpg

Later I thought I would see how accurate the temperature was.  I only did one temp at 172F.  Aiming the IR thermometer near the center of the pan, it was pretty close at 170.3, but the edges of the pan were way cooler at 146 to 155F.  This was after letting it warm up for about 10 minutes.

paragon-temp.jpg.aafe9f0a2e6d27760611bc0d372ecb49.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I ran into a problem but I can't say I entirely blame Paragon.  Last night I was reheating a batch of corn tortillas on setting 9.  I managed to warp a Darto pan.  Steel doesn't have that good a conductivity.  It was easy to see the pattern of the Paragon induction coil.

At least the tortillas turned out half OK.  Can anyone suggest a better pan or griddle for the purpose?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I managed to warp a Darto pan.  Steel doesn't have that good a conductivity. 

Wow! I can’t imagine how one warps a Darto pan without a  Bessemer furnace. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I put my carbon steel wok on with the mat and set to precise fast (or whatever it’s really called) at 320f and the temperature first overshot to 393 then down to 289 then slowly crept back up until it settled in. I added some peanut oil as it was coming back up, then when it announced it was ready I threw in some green beans (a large handful of the thin ones). I was amazed that it dropped the temperature down by 30 degrees  but quickly recovered. Stir frying the beans went well at 320 which was a guess on my part. Overall pretty successful. 

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

On 9/18/2019 at 11:40 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ran into a problem but I can't say I entirely blame Paragon.  Last night I was reheating a batch of corn tortillas on setting 9.  I managed to warp a Darto pan.  Steel doesn't have that good a conductivity.  It was easy to see the pattern of the Paragon induction coil.

At least the tortillas turned out half OK.  Can anyone suggest a better pan or griddle for the purpose?

Maybe a lodge round cast iron griddle?

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Maybe a lodge round cast iron griddle?

Yes, they are cheap enough.  I used to have a round cast iron griddle; gave it away.  Problem, as I see it, is conduction of iron is not that good and the Paragon, like many induction devices, heats only in the middle.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, mgaretz said:

After looking closer it's only 3 qt and I don't think that's enough volume.  I'll keep searching for something a bit bigger.

I have this Kuhn Rikon pot and it works on my 2 existing induction hobs.  I haven't tried it on my Paragon, but I can.

EDIT UPDATE:  I tested the pot on the Paragon and it works as expected.  I mainly use this pot for canning activities because it has a nice pour spout.

Edited by lemniscate
more info (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I have this Kuhn Rikon pot and it works on my 2 existing induction hobs.  I haven't tried it on my Paragon, but I can.

12 cups is still 3 quarts.