• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another player enters the sous vide field: Paragon Induction Cooktop

MSRadell

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I have a bad feeling about this.  Counter space is not freely yielded

Mine is currently living on top of the chamber vacuum sealer!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And I thought I was clever until I had four bags to seal tonight.  (What I haven't found space for is the 32 cm Berndes pot that arrived today.)

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The iPad app pairs with the sensor but in playing with the app it does not appear the app is required for any of the device's functionality.

This was another major factor in my liking this device. This is why I don't own a Joule. I cannot always depend on an app coder/manufacturer to keep the software updated throughout the life of the product. I like devices that have physical controls, even if the controls are just a backup.

• Like 4

Deep fry.  The setup:

Paragon08192019.png

Paragon, 2.5 liters peanut oil in Fissler stockpot.  The red thing is the Paragon probe.  Quite ingenious actually.  The bent metal thingy is a Thermoworks thermocouple.  "Trust first then verify."

Rough Linen pinafore, mai tai, and safety goggles not shown.  Kenji recommends deep frying chicken with alcohol.  Dutch courage I believe it's called.

I set the Paragon to 375F, it's highest setting for precision cooking.  The oil quickly went to 201C and stayed there.  Last night I had anovaed chicken thighs sous vide 2 hours at 74C.  One thigh had been drying on a rack in the refrigerator overnight.  I plunked it in the bath.  No batter or breading was involved.  The oil temperature dropped to 189C but quickly recovered.  I cooked the thigh for ten minutes, which was perhaps longer than necessary.  No harm was done, however.  The crispy skin was superior to the CSO at 450F and the flesh was better than the CSO at 300F.  As it damn well ought to be considering the work involved.

Dinner08192019.png

• Like 10

My old (10 plus years) Viking induction burner did not recognize Darto pan.  Paragon does a great job with Darto.  I am yet to try sous vide and other advanced functions but I am very happy with the induction part.

King salmon was done proud.

But pray tell, why is it white?

828626E3-27A2-41B2-93BB-5750446CBB28.thumb.jpeg.5ea0ae9dc38691fecb4f8e1e4095c8af.jpeg

35AE3418-A751-4B4B-993C-174FD0E1C36F.thumb.jpeg.65015b920e96456d8e3b1d6de826f0e9.jpeg

7E20D1DB-FB54-4973-8AC1-0EB87BFE381E.thumb.jpeg.4dc78f2440994ffcfa2e51a2aab29593.jpeg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did I mention I've ordered a second one?

I want to come and visit you for dinner;  it is my eGullet fantasy that we go grocery shopping and later you make me ice cream and mai tai.  And something deep fried.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I want to come and visit you for dinner;  it is my eGullet fantasy that we go grocery shopping and later you make me ice cream and mai tai.  And something deep fried.  

When I make you a mai tai you better plan to stay the night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, chefmd said:

My old (10 plus years) Viking induction burner did not recognize Darto pan.  Paragon does a great job with Darto.  I am yet to try sous vide and other advanced functions but I am very happy with the induction part.

This invites the question:  what is the optimal pan temperature for paella?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did I mention I've ordered a second one?

Yup, I have a backup. I got an early backer deal on indie gogo back in '16 I think for the burner/probe @ 199. A year later they emailed backers with an opportunity to buy the upgraded mat/probe/disconnectable BT unit for $99, jumped on that, sold v1 probe on ebay. So when I saw the whole kit-and-caboodle for $99, you bet I jumped.

Edited by Vapre (log)
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vapre said:

Yup, I have a backup. I got an early backer deal on indie gogo back in '16 I think for the burner/probe @ 199. A year later they emailed backers with an opportunity to buy the upgraded mat/probe/disconnectable BT unit for $99, jumped on that, sold v1 probe on ebay. So when I saw the whole kit-and-caboodle for $99, you bet I jumped.

If it were not for your thoughtfulness we would not have known about price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If it were not for your thoughtfulness we would not have known about price.

I am genuinely surprised there aren't more appliances like this - Induction with temperature feedback. There's the Control Freak, the Cuisinart Tasty One, Hestan Cue, and Paragon (I might have forgotten some). Maybe it's too niche a market?

in Europe there's the Rocook. 

The only third party reviews I could find are on amazon.es & amazon.it. 

All state the low quality of the bluetooth probe and battery duration, making longer sous-vide cooks virtually impossible according to those stated opinions.

I'd want to play with a Rocook to see if it could sustain and recover temp while deep frying,  but the highest temp is only 180c.  

18 hours ago, adey73 said:

in Europe there's the Rocook. 

The only third party reviews I could find are on amazon.es & amazon.it. 

All state the low quality of the bluetooth probe and battery duration, making longer sous-vide cooks virtually impossible according to those stated opinions.

I'd want to play with a Rocook to see if it could sustain and recover temp while deep frying,  but the highest temp is only 180c.  

No vendor will ship a Paragon to Europe?

Aaargh... you've generated gigantic temptation.  I'm awaiting my Master Sous from Kickstarter which should arrive this fall, and is an precision induction widget -- with an automated stirring function.  Do I need this in addition to my elderly Sunpentown Mr. Indunction II? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

On 8/18/2019 at 11:21 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Deep fry.  The setup:

Paragon08192019.png

Paragon, 2.5 liters peanut oil in Fissler stockpot.  The red thing is the Paragon probe.  Quite ingenious actually.  The bent metal thingy is a Thermoworks thermocouple.  "Trust first then verify."

I am an embarrassment to this forum.    A wart on its nose.    I deep fry in a dedicated 50 cent garage sale Calphalon pot using 2 cups of oil.    I turn on kitchen fan and crank up stovetop to high, wait until oil shimmers, then toss in a bread cube.    Fry battered prawns or chicken, potatoes, moderating heat when necessary..   Meanwhile, back in the cave,..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am an embarrassment to this forum.    A wart on its nose.    I deep fry in a dedicated 50 cent garage sale Calphalon pot using 2 cups of oil.    I turn on kitchen fan and crank up stovetop to high, wait until oil shimmers, then toss in a bread cube.    Fry battered prawns or chicken, potatoes, moderating heat when necessary..   Meanwhile, back in the cave,..

My rental kitchen doesn't have a fan...

But seriously, is two cups of oil enough volume for deep frying?

16 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

(Shrug) I do the same. I only ever deep-fry in small batches (battered haddock bites last night, for example) and have a small KitchenAid saucepan that I use for the purpose, narrow and tall. In my case, I use about three cups of oil.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

23 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My rental kitchen doesn't have a fan...

But seriously, is two cups of oil enough volume for deep frying?

I used to make myself potato chips in a two cup stainless steel measuring jug.  it was nice and tall, but narrow.  I used less than a cup of oil.  Even the crappy electric stove I had in that apartment could keep that hot. 

• Like 4