• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting a ganache-like texture with an olive-caramel mixture

Bojana

I have blitzed 200gr of taggiasca olives, drained of oil, with some water, just enough to form a smooth puree. Separately, I have made dark dry caramel, which I have then mixed with the olive pure. The resulting liquid is super tasty, the consistency of thick coulis.

I want to turn this into ganache, without adding too much sugar to it. What would you suggest?

Things I thought of, not tested yet:

- fluid gel with 0.7% by weight of low acyl gelan

- mix of white chocolate and gelatin

- add some cream (how much??) and cook down the resulting liquid slowly until it is thick

- use cocoa butter or butter in addition to white chocolate

What would you suggest? If you have working recipes, even better

I have just about any modernist ingredient. I want to use the ganache for macarons

Thanks!

If you want to make an actual ganache, which by definition involves chocolate, going with one of the white chocolate options seems the way to go, although personally, I'd prefer dark, barely sweetened chocolate with olives. I don't think any of the gels (maybe agar?) would contribute to a ganache-like texture. Might want to consider a small proprotion of almond butter, or something similar.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have answered my own question so I thought I'd share.

Basically, I calculated the cacao butter % of a ganache that I normally make, with white chocolate and raspberry puree. Then I weighed my olive caramel, and using a blender, emulsified in it melted cacao butter that would bring it to the same cacao butter content as my ganache has. Worked like a charm

• Like 1