• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Natural Food Color

Lindacakes

Can anyone recommend a natural food color?  I want to do a red velvet cake for Valentine's Day and I would like to use natural coloring.  I want a good, strong red.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I wonder if this might work... http://www.amazon.com/Beet-Root-Powder-8oz-Natural-Food-Coloring/dp/B009XAABZM

I've never used it in a red velvet cake before, but I've used beet powder past for coloring frosting, and seems to be a little more on the magenta side, rather than screaming RED.  But, it is natural.

Hope that helps!

Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

There was some one who used  Indian tree food colours with good results on another food board I was on.   You will never get a bright red as synthetics with  naturals.   The  red food colouring I can buy in bog standard stores in Sweden is beetroot red and it makes things more pink then red.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Can anyone recommend a natural food color?  I want to do a red velvet cake for Valentine's Day and I would like to use natural coloring.  I want a good, strong red.

Cochineal -- Natural Red 4.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou