• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Karen Chin, a.k.a. "I Call the Duck"

Chris Hennes

We received word today of the death of longtime Society member Karen Chin ("I Call the Duck").  This from member Katie Loeb...

Dear friends: Please celebrate the life and memory of:

Karen Chin

-with her husband Carl Kabat-Realtor and family.

Saturday, Feb 7 at 12:30 at the Lutheran Church -2110 Chestnut St. -please use the entrance at 2111 Sansom St. Philadelphia, Pa. 19103

Then, at 5:00 join us in Chinatown:

“I Call The Duck”

celebration and dinner

Please contact: Susan Gish - susangish@me.com for details about restaurant, location and to RSVP.

If you like, bring a photo and/or a story/memory...

Donations can be made to:

WWF - Panda Nation

wwf.worldwildlife.org or call: 1-800-CALL-WWF

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thank you everyone.  We here in Philadelphia are devastated by the loss of Karen, a sweet and gentle soul who took joy in all things and spread that joy wherever she went.  Many of us were able to visit with her in hospice care in the last few weeks, and even then Karen was making jokes and being the kind considerate person we all loved her for being.  We brought her duck soup in the hopes that it would cheer her up and bring her strength.  I understand she had a little bit of it, even though her appetite had already failed her. We can only hope it did what we wished it would.  RIP Karen.  I hope there's a big pot of duck soup and duck every way you want it waiting for you.

• Like 4

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Please add my condolences to the others'. It's good that she could have the company of loving friends and family to the end, and comforting that those friends and family could share cheer with her.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...