• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yahoo/food: info. or clickbait?

Naftal

I flinched when I saw it was on a Yahoo! site and had a title that began with "57 things..." So many of those articles turn into clickbait slide shows, and I just don't have that much patience. This article, from Epicurious, was succinct and short. I think it has a lot of good tips, although there are bound to be disagreements about some of them. For instance, I *like* my salad spinner, thankyouverymuch. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

There are a number of good ideas in the article, many of which are probably known by most of us here at eG.  However, it wouldn't be surprising if most everyone picks up a new idea or two.

eG isn't that different than other sites.  There is misinformation here, too.  Not too long ago I followed some expert advice and completely ruined an expensive-to-make dish.  Just chalked it up to my personal learning curve, and learned to trust my own instincts a bit more.  Of course, I've received plenty of good advice here as well, quite a bit more than bad advice.

• Like 1

... Shel

As for content, they managed to overlook getting a kitchen scale, which should have been something like #2 on the list.

But they did suggest buying metal measuring cups as plastic ones may be inaccurate. Al cup measurements are inaccurate!

I did laugh at their suggestion that I only buy avocados from Mexican grocery stores. My nearest Mexican store is probably in Mexico. Not terrible useful when I'm in China!

10 Things I Hate

1. Lists.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I think there are some interesting points in this. It doesn't seem like click-bait to me.

Point 31 about cuttting boards: I'm firmly in the plastic boards catergory and have been replacing my boards with no-slip versions. My favorite smaller board is the red Kitchen Architek board avaiable at Target. It has a pattern of rubber feet on the back side.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

But they did suggest buying metal measuring cups as plastic ones may be inaccurate. Al cup measurements are inaccurate!

I did laugh at their suggestion that I only buy avocados from Mexican grocery stores. My nearest Mexican store is probably in Mexico. Not terrible useful when I'm in China!

10 Things I Hate

1. Lists.

Liuzhou- You raise an interesting point: In this age of the internet can any* best of/most important* list be considered complete if it comes from a purely Euro-Centric viewpoint?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)