• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help: Rice Krispie treats with home-made marshmallows

AKS613

I am in a HUGE bind. I make marshmallows (along with other desserts) and I have been asked by a client to turn them into rice krispie treats. Like an IDIOT, I said no problem. Who would have thought it would be an issue? Well, guess what? After re-reading the 58,349,648 pages of ALL THREE marshmallow threads, I have learned that homemade marshmallows can make the krispies seem stale. I am sick to my stomach now. Does anyone have any idea how to to yield a crispy Krispies treat with homemade marshmallows? I use Nightscotsman's recipe. Please, please help. Thank you so much.

-Alysa

I haven't tried it yet-just read about it. Totally freaking out though because it is for a client, and they need to be good. It is a mint chip marshmallow krispie treat. Any hint you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Do you use sugar syrup egg whites and gelatin? Some recipes dont use all three

Im asking because I made both Marshmallows and Marshmallow frosting and the Marshmallows were from the TL Good Cook series and they had all three ant they lasted a long time whereas the frosting just had sugar and eggwhites and dripped off the cake within 2 days...

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

No Egg Whites. I just bought Eileen Talanian's book and she has a recipe, so I'll just do a trial run one with fluff (with powdered egg white) and one with marshmallow. Hopefully all will be well. Still freaking though!

Make a batch - see how they are the next day - if they are fine - then make them the night before as you planned.  If they aren't - then it's time to panic!

Since I've never attempted this yet, I'm just going to offer a couple things I would worry about.

I only make marshmallows that have egg whites. I've made only gelatin ones, and just don't like them as well. But, I did try making a s'mores style brownie with the gelatin version. The marshmallows were melted hollow shells when they came out of the oven. I figure once they melted again, they were just back to the liquid state.

So, I'm wondering if that type of marshmallow would work to make RKT's the usual way.

I made my usual marshmallows at Christmas to go with hot chocolate mix, and as they melt in the hot chocolate, they stay creamy.

This is just something I've wondered about using my own marshmallows.

So sorry. They are curing now and my fingers are crossed. For the marshmallows, I reduced the amount of water in the syrup and increased the heating temp. I let set for 24 hours. So far so good-"POOH POOH POOH!", as my great grandmother used to say. I guess we'll see how they are by tomorrow. Thanks for asking and for all the help. You guys are amazing. Sorry for the freakout!  :smile:

Edited by AKS613 (log)
  • Like 1

So sorry. They are curing now and my fingers are crossed. For the marshmallows, I reduced the amount of water in the syrup and increased the heating temp. I let set for 24 hours. So far so good-"POOH POOH POOH!", as my great grandmother used to say. I guess we'll see how they are by tomorrow. Thanks for asking and for all the help. You guys are amazing. Sorry for the freakout!  :smile:

So did you make the marshmallow and mix in the RK while it was still warm, or let the marshmallow set up and remelt?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I've never had trouble with using homemade marshmallow in rice krispie treats. I've done it both ways, just mixing the cereal in while the marshmallow is still hot if that was the plan from the start or remelting them if I'm just using up marshmallows that aren't disappearing. I generally don't use egg white in my marshmallow but I have no idea if that makes a difference with rice krispie treats. If by "stale" they mean the cereal gets more soggy than with store bought marshmallow, I haven't found that to be an issue... at least not within the day or two before they all disappear.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I know I'm late to the party, but if by "stale" you mean "hard as rock," I've found that increasing the amount of butter helps keep the usual treats (made with commercial marshmallows) pliable longer.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the input. I wanted to wait a few days and track results. So, Chocolot: I let them set up and remelted with butter and added the rice krispies just like when you use store-bought. Tri2cook: I had been reading that the extra liquid content of homemade marshmallows breaks down the krispies. I decreased the water in the syrup and cooked to 250F. Everything worked fine. The only problem was that I couldn't scoop them into silicone molds because they didn't hold their shape unless I pressed them in making a denser treat. I guess it is cookie cutters for me! JAZ: Thanks for the butter tip. As for stale-ness, I made them on Friday and they were gone by Sunday, and with this marshmallow technique (reducing liquid, higher temp) the Krispies were just as good on day 3 as they were on day 1. Thanks so much to everyone. So sorry about the opening rant! I was having a bit of a panic.

• Like 2