• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Color of mixed drinks: hits and misses?

Craig E

When evaluating or inventing mixed drinks, how significant do you feel the color of the drink is? Have you found yourself subbing ingredients or rebalancing ratios just for the sake of color?

One problematic ingredient combination I've found is that the green of chartreuse mixed with complementary red/browns can look muddy. I noticed in tonight's tasty Clermeil and before, maybe to a lesser extent, in Phil Ward's Final Ward. (On the other hand, the gorgeous amber color of his Yeoman Warder really struck me.)

Do you have good examples of otherwise great drinks with unsatisfying color?

Are there drinks you really like where the color is a significant part of the appeal?

When evaluating or inventing mixed drinks, how significant do you feel the color of the drink is? Have you found yourself subbing ingredients or rebalancing ratios just for the sake of color?

One problematic ingredient combination I've found is that the green of chartreuse mixed with complementary red/browns can look muddy. I noticed in tonight's tasty Clermeil and before, maybe to a lesser extent, in Phil Ward's Final Ward. (On the other hand, the gorgeous amber color of his Yeoman Warder really struck me.)

Do you have good examples of otherwise great drinks with unsatisfying color?

Are there drinks you really like where the color is a significant part of the appeal?

Two drinks that come to mind for me are the aviation and white mai tai.  I have yet to get my aviation to come out sky blue.  Thankfully I can make a white mai tai that is white...although it might be even whiter if I had a centrifuge.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If a guest thinks he's too manly for a Pegu Club he's getting nothing but amaretto sours from me all night.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937